b16 in a dc integra

DCkid86

OK...I have a blown b18b1 in my 95 teg....i want a b18c1 but all i can afford is a b16... I keep hearing people say that its a good idea and some say its a bad idea....but i truly don't know wat do you guys think....please try and stay on subject...any info would help...thnx

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
obd1kenobi said:
It will be like having an Si!
yeah, full of fat chicks!

Integra's weigh more than Si's, the lack of TQ of the B16, you won't like it. I'd just get another B18B, or maybe a B20?

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
A B16 DC will be slow. No faster than an LS for sure. B18B's are cheaper, use the extra money to build the 1.8! B16's are torqueless and like TegSox said, civics are lighter than Tegs. A mild built B18B will make a much better car than the B16A. What exactly is wrong with your B18B1

twlplague

ya tegs arent all that much heavier. plus a b16, 8200rpm redline and 160 hp are gonna well make up for the lack of TQ. Just depends if you want a drag car or a roll on car

DCkid86

dc2GS-R said:
A B16 DC will be slow. No faster than an LS for sure. B18B's are cheaper, use the extra money to build the 1.8! B16's are torqueless and like TegSox said, civics are lighter than Tegs. A mild built B18B will make a much better car than the B16A. What exactly is wrong with your B18B1
my b18b has a blown head gasket and i really don't wanna go threw the trouble of rebuilding it i heard it gets pretty expensive many people tell me to just get another engine...what do you think

Winki

Undercover mod
twlplague said:
ya tegs arent all that much heavier. plus a b16, 8200rpm redline and 160 hp are gonna well make up for the lack of TQ. Just depends if you want a drag car or a roll on car
160 hp does not make up for the lack of torque. B18 > B16

twlplague

its only about 15 lbs of TQ...thats not really that much considering how much more you get out of a b16.
Thats of coarse if he wants a bad ass roll on car, the VTEC is gonna help out much more than a non-VTEC b18

95jdmdc4

a 2000 civic si for example weighs 2,606 lbs. A 1995 integra ls is 2,650, not a big difference there. Remember an SI is a fully loaded civic, has all the options plus their best motor. A b16 even with bolt ons is gonna feel torqueless, lets face it, 111 ftlbs. stock is not a lot. But the VTEC is very well engineered and once VTEC engages, the b16 will go. It would not be a totally bad idea in my opinion, you would have VTEC, a better breathing head than the ls or b20. I have a jdm spec B20 for example and I have 140 ftlbs stock, thats a ton more than a b16, even a ls, gsr, and itr motors have less torque than that, but no VTEC on the top end it loses where the b16 will be better breathing. Any of the motors are well made and you should not be disappointed. Good luck with your choice.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
DCkid86 said:
my b18b has a blown head gasket and i really don't wanna go threw the trouble of rebuilding it i heard it gets pretty expensive many people tell me to just get another engine...what do you think
I would just replace the headgasket and build it.
twlplague said:
its only about 15 lbs of TQ...thats not really that much considering how much more you get out of a b16.Thats of coarse if he wants a bad ass roll on car, the VTEC is gonna help out much more than a non-VTEC b18
That 15ft. lbs of torque will make a bigger difference than you think. Yes the B16 will puts out more peak power. But it does it over 7500rpm and makes significantly less power throughout the rpm range. It is peaky and has less area under the curve. It makes less than 100hp all the way to 5800 rpms. It makes less than 75hp for the first 4600rpms. At 4600rpm, the b18b1 makes over 90hp and, at 5800rpms, it makes almost 120hp. This is the difference that counts. The B16 makes more peak power but comparing dyno charts shows the b18b1 betters it all the way to about 6500rpms

steelies_ftw

DCkid86 said:
i learned the hardway and thought this too, i had a really leaky headgasket back earlier this summer and so i was like wut the heck im gonna make it LS/V, and well i ran out of cash, and ended up figuring out that you can be way faster and way more reliable if you just wait and save, and fix the motor you have, but then again if you have the cash and stuff go ahead, grab the b16 but the teggie weighs about 300-400 lbs more and yea, that b16 isnt gonna love that for daily driving (low rpms), i suggest repairing the headgasket, you can do that in 4 days tops (thats pushing it) thats with being lazy and stuff, i did mine in like 2 days, just make sure you get the head resurfaced and you'll be straight, but yea from my experience its better to fix that b18b and then get another block or somthin and build a seperate engine, but thats just me

Winki

Undercover mod
95jdmdc4 said:
a 2000 civic si for example weighs 2,606 lbs. A 1995 integra ls is 2,650, not a big difference there. Remember an SI is a fully loaded civic, has all the options plus their best motor. A b16 even with bolt ons is gonna feel torqueless, lets face it, 111 ftlbs. stock is not a lot. But the VTEC is very well engineered and once VTEC engages, the b16 will go. It would not be a totally bad idea in my opinion, you would have VTEC, a better breathing head than the ls or b20. I have a jdm spec B20 for example and I have 140 ftlbs stock, thats a ton more than a b16, even a ls, gsr, and itr motors have less torque than that, but no VTEC on the top end it loses where the b16 will be better breathing. Any of the motors are well made and you should not be disappointed. Good luck with your choice.

Well lets put it this way from my personal experence i know that the LS in a teg and a B20 in a teg are both faster than the SI civic seen many killed and killed more than one with both setups, so even if it is only 50 lbs it still weighs more and if the B16 is slow in the 50lbs less civic well that will just make th 50lb more teg slower