B16 Tranny better?

SprchdGS-R

ok im wondering is the b16 tranny better than the b18 tranny, because the shorter gearsin the 16 would make you get up and go faster right?

esco115

Fawk a Title!
if ur comparing a b16 tranny to an LS tranny then yes u'll be able to accelerate quicker however ur mpg will decrease once u hit highway speeds...

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
thats why you use the LS final gear in the b16 :thumbs up

94_LS

what if you had the ls tranny with b16 1st 2nd and 3rd gears in it?.. then you could get the quick acceleration, with good mpgs on the highway?

94_LS

that way you done have to buy another tranny, you just buy the first 3 gears?.. but whatever, just thrown ideas around. would a b16 with a gsr final be better?

Joshmmc

It's probably just as easy to find a B16 transmission as it is to find the first, second and third gears out of it. If you're going to swap the final drive for that of a different transmission for more economic highway crusing, you may as well go for an LS. Cheaper, easier to find, and superior for the purpose intended. Unless you have a GSR final drive laying around..

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
You don't just need the gears but also each gear's mainshaft. If you add the cost up, it's cheaper just to get a GSR trans. It's a good compromise.

I replaced my bad GSR trans with a Type R. I plan to swap over 4th and 5th when I replace the clutch next year. Doing 3800 RPM at 70 MPH just sucks whether you care about fuel economy or not. Luckily for me I don't have to get on the freeway to go to work.

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
You don't just need the gears but also each gear's mainshaft. If you add the cost up, it's cheaper just to get a GSR trans. It's a good compromise.

I replaced my bad GSR trans with a Type R. I plan to swap over 4th and 5th when I replace the clutch next year. Doing 3800 RPM at 70 MPH just sucks whether you care about fuel economy or not. Luckily for me I don't have to get on the freeway to go to work.
Without trying to thread jack anyone, did you give any thought to rebuilding your GS-R trans and upgrading the parts or is it more advantageous to just go low mileage Type R trans? My trans is starting to grab gears and become notchy, so I'm looking to swap a Type R trans but wanted to get some of the 'ins and outs' of the difference between fully built GS-R trans or Type R.

Thanks

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
a "fully built" gsr tranny would only be good for motor sports. to me a "built tranny" would be any tranny as a base, M factory 1 and 2nd gears, 4.7-4.9 Final, OEM or QUIFE LSD and have that thing bulletproffed

1caintegra

type-s and the RS
i run a b16 tranny with lsd for track only i love it but for dd u will hate life.unless u swap out ur final drive but id say go gsr tranny its a great in between gear set up