b16a1/ a2 ??? swap

treybombRW

so i've been looking at motor's for a motor swap in the next couple months and i've heard that a b16a1 or b16a2 are amazing engines. i have a 92 ls auto and i was wondering if it would work well with my car even though it has an ls ys1 tranny. i know the gear would be shorter and i wouldn't see as much power but.... i'm sure it would be better than my old b18a1.... right? any input would be great

treybombRW

well i'm only doin a motor swap because i have 252400 kms on my b18a1 and it should have a water pump/timing belt done. along with the fact that its either burning oil a bit or sweating it near the head gasket. id rather take the 4-6 hundred there and just save a bit more and do a swap. makes more sense to me.

hgocasca

level 77 troll
Pointless with auto. Your cars weight needs the torque down low from the ls especially if you keep it auto. I've had a b16 and an ls in the same car, rebuild your ls and add a vtec head if you really want it that bad, or just do a gsr swap. That's just a little wisdom from my experience. If anyone has a differing opinion please speak up. Maybe someone else has had a better experience with a b16 in a second gen.

Rich-PMS

I'm in the middle of a b16a2 swap into my DA.

They're not much differant from the b18a- just a differant TQ curve- and the power is higher up in the rpms.

treybombRW

ok so alot of people say its pointless.... as in i won't see a power gain from the original 140 hp...... but what i wanna know is.. will it work just fine/ will my car drive the same,worse or will i see a decrease in power. the reason why i am asking is because i can't seem to find a good low km b18a1/b18b1/b20/ and especially a b17a1 naturally. and i have found several low ks b16's available for the right price.