B16A2 or LS/VTEC?

Joshmmc

I've got a B18B1 (LS) in my DC4 at the moment. I just purchased a complete B16A2 changeover (Engine, LSD trans, ECU, Harness, Axles)

The plan was to swap the B16 right in and enjoy the addition of VTEC plus the additional 20 or so horsepower. I've noticed though, that I'm sacrificing about 20 torque in exchange for that 20 horsepower.

Would it be worthwhile to use the components from the B16 to build my LS into an LS/VTEC motor? Or would it be a total waste, and more logical to just drop the B16 in there?

I figure the B16 will be more fun regardless just because it's VTEC, LSD, and shorter ratios. But I don't like that I'm giving up a huge chunk of torque.

Opinions appreciated, thanks!

Joshmmc

Also, the B16A2 is from a JDM EG6, so I assume it is OBD1, as is my 94 LS. Will the harnesses cross right over? How much of a procedure would the swap be?

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
if you ls motor is in good condition...make it ls/vtec, put the b16 trans in, and you will have a very fun motor

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
The plan was to swap the B16 right in and enjoy the addition of VTEC plus the additional 20 or so horsepower.
I wouldn't put a B16 into a G3 Integra
I've noticed though, that I'm sacrificing about 20 torque in exchange for that 20 horsepower.
That's not good.. I personally, wouldn't want to do that. Torque isn't the Integras strongest trait, I wouldn't cripple it anymore than it already is.
Would it be worthwhile to use the components from the B16 to build my LS into an LS/VTEC motor?
Yes
Or would it be a total waste, and more logical to just drop the B16 in there?
More time/cost efficient, but not nearly as fun as bastardizing everything together.
I figure the B16 will be more fun regardless just because it's VTEC, LSD, and shorter ratios. But I don't like that I'm giving up a huge chunk of torque.
The B16 won't be necessarily more fun. It will make more noise, but it won't be any faster.

LS/VTEC + B16 LSD tranny = :thumbs up

Or you could sell both and by a B18Cx

I suppose it really depends on how long you can stand to have your car out of commission while this work is performed.

Last edited:

Joshmmc

This idea might be retarded, but suppose I used the B16 head to create an LS/VTEC motor for my teg, could I put the B18B head on the B16 block and have another usable motor? Would the B16 with the B18 head be the lamest motor ever, or would it be good enough to toss in my civic to replace the D16?

milano

if u do the lsvtec b prepared to have a backup car...b16a is more gains then the ls motor...

but i say lsv over b16a anyday

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
Neither. Get a GSR trans and turbo the LS. The B16 is a waste of money. Way overpriced thanks to Fast and Furious. LS/VTEC will give you all kinds of problems and never make the power you'd make with an LS turbo. LS turbo you spend less money, you get more power and better reliability. You don't have to take the motor apart. And there's lots of room for easy expansion with cams, intake manifold etc.

LS/VTEC is difficult to do right and you can't do it right and cheap at the same time. So why bother?

Joshmmc

I've already got the B16, I've had it for ages, so it's not about the money of turbo vs ls/v. If I didn't have the B16, I'd boost the LS in a heartbeat instead.

Maybe try to sell the B16 and boost it?

What's the complete crossover worth if I was to try to? Includes everything I mentioned above, plus mounts for an EK.

Last edited:

DB7xsjado

Old Skool
you could definitely sell the full swap and come up with enough for a turbo setup.. in the neighborhood of $2000 give or take