B16a2 Swap

Sean

EDIT: THIS IS A B16A (Second Gen) NOT A2 Thanks~ sorry for the confusion, non of us knew what the motor was =D

Alright 100 miles tell i hit 200k on my da9, its time to drop a new motor in.

Reasons:
Transmission is toast...
Engine is old and tired.
I want vtec and a little more power.

The b18a1 motor has a low compression.
The b16a2 has a higher compression.
Higher the compression the faster it gets up to speed, and the more power.

Ik its a jump down from 1.8l to 1.6l, but there really isn't that big of a difference in torque its like 10 ft-ibf, the b16a's Hp has about a 30hp difference + its vtec.

So My sisters bf has a JDM b16a with a b16 lsd with 50k on it for 1k. I'm going to buy it.

Now, my questions are:

The harness
Ecu p30
chip
Other then what i already have in the da, what will i need?
Thinking svtec so any tips please tell.
Im trying to spend the least amount of cash as possible here.

Just because im asking questions dont underestimate me and tell me if idk what to do i shouldn't be doing this swap. im just following up, there is always a first time swapping hondas.

Other than that ik what im doing.

Last edited:

Sean

if you want vtec
your gonna need your buddy's
wiring harness and his computer .
he doesnt have it thats why im curious.. what would be the least hassle ecu and harness? And what jumperwires do i need?

hgocasca

level 77 troll
In reference to the question of noticing a difference:

You'll notice it at about 5400rpm if you get the matching p30 ecu. It'll be a surge of power followed by a sound resembling "buuaaahhh!". Then followed by an instant ear to ear smiling effect. That's roughly the noticeable difference. Take it to ~7800rpm and keep shifting at 7800 and you'll notice this difference til ~130mph. It will drag ass til ~3000rpm though, no torque.

bonspeed

PinoyDomesticMarket
b16a2 is OBD2, if your re-using your OBD1 LS harness you have to switch plugs for the injectors or you can use your LS injectors.

you also need to find an OBD1 b series vtec distributor or you can re-pin the b16a2 distributor.

for the ECU you can use a P28 ECU then wire vtec and have it chipped. or find a P30 ECU

for the alternator you can use your old alternator so that you wont switch plugs anymore.

Sean

b16a2 is OBD2, if your re-using your OBD1 LS harness you have to switch plugs for the injectors or you can use your LS injectors.

you also need to find an OBD1 b series vtec distributor or you can re-pin the b16a2 distributor.

for the ECU you can use a P28 ECU then wire vtec and have it chipped. or find a P30 ECU

for the alternator you can use your old alternator so that you wont switch plugs anymore.
Will the ls injectors fit/work in the b16a2 block? same with the rail? do i need to re pin the distributor in the 930ecu? and do i need to chip the P30 also? is the p30 obd1 or 2? whats the best thing to do honestly?

bonspeed

PinoyDomesticMarket
Q. Will the ls injectors fit/work in the b16a2 block?

A. the injectors go in the intake manifold and not into the block. and yes the LS injectors will work on the b16a2 engine.

Q.same with the rail?

A. the fuel rail also bolts into the intake manifold not into the block. and yes you can use the LS fuel rail or the b16a2 fuel rail, whichever you like using.

Q. do i need to re pin the distributor in the 930ecu?

A. either you use P30 or P28 ECU, you will still re-pin the distributor if you will use the b16a2 distributor because it's OBD2 and your harness is OBD1

Q. and do i need to chip the P30 also?

A. no.

Q. is the p30 obd1 or 2?

A. JDM P30 ECU is OBD1 and USDM P30 ECU is OBD2

Q.whats the best thing to do honestly?

A. http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1972711&highlight=obd1+b16+distributor

A. http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1842858

Sean

Awesome! ok and i meant in the intake manifold. Can i use the ls manifold? instead or will i have o2 sensor problems? And i also meant the P30 i dont know how i typed 930 lol, What one should i use usdm or jdm?

Cripton805

Awesome! ok and i meant in the intake manifold. Can i use the ls manifold? instead or will i have o2 sensor problems? And i also meant the P30 i dont know how i typed 930 lol, What one should i use usdm or jdm?
You wont have o2 sensor problems if you use a JDM P30 ECU and convert to OBD1

mendoza

Since i have a b16a2 swap, which ecu would you want to use p30(obd2) or p28(obd1)? And why?! I was told to get a p28 but never understood why