b18 B1 engine quit and won't start.

Jacqualine24890

Hey guys,
so I've been looking everywhere and can't seem to find the answers... so I guess I'll just start from the beginning so you get a full understanding. (I have a 2001 acura integra LS with a b18b1 out of a 93 integra) I got off work at 9:30 and my integra had been sitting for a good 5 hours. I started it and left right away not giving it a ton of time to warm up, but I kept it below 3000rpm because of that. I had driven about 8 minutes on the highway at about 97km/h and slowed down and got into the left turn lane. I was in 2nd gear when I pushed in the clutch and the break to stop when my oil pressure light and battery light came on then my engine quit. Somebody stopped and helped me push it off the highway and I checked the interior fuse box, the feul pump is working and building pressure and there is a spark, but the engine won't start. For the first 20 minutes nothing would happen when I tured the key, then after that it cranks but makes a clanking and ticking kind of sound in addition to the engine shaking, but won't go farther then that.

Last edited:

db7LS

@Eddie_db7
:???: Battery/ground test? That sounds very odd

Unless you busted something on the inside from running it cold? Where was your oil level?
compression loss(besides the obvious cold start kind)?

Last edited:

96LSteg

Jemel
Does the engine turn over when you try and start it?

Whats the engine compression?

I second the ground/battery test to rule out the battery and charging system.

Jacqualine24890

I ran into somebody that said they had a similar problem with their car and it was the camshaft pins that threw off the timing belt. Does that sound probable? It's definitely not the battery, brand new like a month old. My oil level was good and as for the compression test, I wasn't able to do it, (and to be honest I don't know how ��. I've had this car for a few months, it's my first car and I'm only 17.) It has been towed to a shop and I know the mechanic that will be working on it. I trust him and he knows his imports!

Last edited:

db7LS

@Eddie_db7
I don't trust any mechanic except myself or if I'm with the person working on MY car. So remember he might be a good person but we all have to make money to eat somehow. Imo.
Welcom to the life of owning an Integra lol :beer:

Oh AutoZone has rent kits for compression tests, not too hard many threads on it, (just type in the key words)

Last edited:

Beyond5150

Beyond5150
I just had that same thing. My answer was replace plug wires. Was grounding off the head from bad spark plug wires

Jacqualine24890

So that has been all figured out! It was my timing belt. It didn't break on me, but a foot of teeth were torn off, and at the time I had my clutch in so no valves bent. The previous owner had cross threaded the tensioner bolt so I could tighten my new belt.... ended up snapping the bolt! Oops! But it's been good! Getting the car running perfect, but for now it runs! Next is my clutch and tranny problems....

Last edited: