b18 backfires but won't start

DA9teg1

after i replaced the head gasket it wouldnt start up then i relized the spark plug wires were backwards so i fixed that.

now it backfires. girl friend says she can see it coming from exhaust (havnt got the bottom of the exhaust mani on) then she said once it was kinda blue. ive tried everything i can think of to get it started. so anyone know what else to try?

tomorrow i was thinking bout getting everything taken off and redo the timing at tdc i know its not right now. but just to be safe im guna do that before putting it in the shop.

note i put the cams back exactly how they were when i took them off so they are where there spose to be (i think) but ill post back after i do that.

but anyone who has an idea id love to hear it.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Your timing is off. Recheck your timing belt and make sure the ignition wires are on the right order on the distributor.

DA9teg1

sorry man read that on my phone and it wouldnt zoom lmao anyways i got all the wires in the right spot now. i got a haynes manual and fixed that part.

my phone can be stupid sometimes.

DA9teg1

i dont have a compression tool unless part store rents them out. but buddy of mine told me i could have f***ed the head up and bent valves if the timing is off.

i hope not tho!!!

Nick_C78

Out of curiousity, did you have the motor at Top Dead Center(TDC) when you put the cams back in or did you just try to put them back on the way they were when you took them off? From the sound of it you did that second one which is a damn sure way for you to be off a few teeth.

Oh and it isn't related to the issue exactly, but I am curious, how did you go about putting the head back on? What torque spec and sequence did you use? I only ask because you mentioned you put the spark plug wires in the wrong order. So that leads me to believe you did other things wrong as well. The more detail you provide, the easier it is for us to pinpoint where you went wrong.

boosted18

BLACK ROGUE
ur timing is off maybe 2 teeth. I had a stretched belt skipped 2 and fried my ecu anyways it shot out 3ft flames it started but when I tied to drive it it wouldn't move and shot em out

DA9teg1

i belive im not sure as i dont have the book with me but i belive the first set was 27 give or take a few and second set was 62.

the wires where wrong cause two of them popped off by accident and i just stuck them back on not thinking but i got that part fixed. and i used the spiral squence for the head on both set and went over them all a second time to make sure they where toqured to the right spec.

and no it wasnt at tdc i relize that is one of the stupidest choices ive made in my life. tomorrow im going to fix that.

but i dont do to much wrong just turns out the biggest things turn out wrong. also understand ive only had experience on V8 engines and some on ford 2.3l motors. but i am learning.