B18 LS Crank Pulley Questions

Szady

I just picked up a B18 for my del Sol (yea yea...I know. Del Sol guy on an Integra forum...BUT...what better place to get B18 advice/parts than an Integra forum? :) )

Anyways...I picked up a B18b1 engine minus the trans. I noticed the crank pulley is chipped pretty good (missing a good 2" of it on the P/S end). It's a pulley for A/C and P/S. I have no P/S in my del Sol, and plan to keep it that way. Now, can I run with that pulley and be ok? Or will it cause vibrations?

OR, should I just find a non-P/S pulley? Did they make DC Integra's without P/S? Or will I have to use a B18a1 DA pulley? And will it fit on the B18b1 (I'm ASSuming yes, but...I come from a D-Series background...this is only my second time venturing into the B-Series realm).

Now my only question with using a B18a1 DA pulley, is that, didnt they use V-Belts for the A/C and P/S? Or JUST for P/S?

Sorry for sounding like a newbie here. I promise I'm not a newbie to Honda's. Been in the game 10 years or so, just NEVER really into the B-Series until now. I have well over 6000 posts on ClubCivic, and am very active over on D-Series.org and TeamSolCal.com.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! :)

dlo253

That will in turn get rid of the hex which is needed to hold the crank pulley in place and or rotate the engine during routine maintenance. Just something to think about. I was gonna machine mine until I noticed that.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Personally I wouldnt run the pulley with that large of a chip as its likely unbalanced now. You should be able to replace it for a few bucks.

I believe the Integra RS did not have PS but I could not find a different crank pulley so I assume it still used the standard 3 ribbed pulley. Shaving a couple pounds here really isnt worth the money/effort.

Szady

I'd rather not have it shaved off, as it could impede balance (to my knowledge, these pulleys are balanced from Honda). By doing a quick search, it looks like Honda didn't provide an Integra without Power Steering (at least, one that used a different pulley). So I'm stuck going with the normal B18b1 pulley.

Unless anyone else has any ideas? Besides shaving the P/S part off...

dlo253

Yeah, balance was another concern of mine. And I doubt you would want to spend the cash to get it balanced after cutting it. Why not go to pick n pull?

Szady

Yeah, balance was another concern of mine. And I doubt you would want to spend the cash to get it balanced after cutting it. Why not go to pick n pull?
Yea, I have no issues replacing it. I was just trying to find an alternative pulley to reduce a lbs or two. lol. Plus, I'm function over form. If the P/S part of the pulley isnt going to be used, why have it, ya know?
There's enough LS crank pulleys floating around it wont be a problem sourcing a new one.