b18 ls wont stay on!! bad idle

94tegfromhell

Hey everyone thanks for your time!!! So I'm completely stumped I did a B18 stock ls motor swap on my Integra and the car started right up was running fine just had to do the timing(which I didn't do because I didn't have a gun until the next day). The next day the car started for a moment then turned off. So I cranked it over and nothing just cranked! I was confused checked the wires, checked for vacum leaks, and checked to hear for the fuel pump, it all checked out. Took a spark plug off and plugs were covered with gas and could also smell it. If I advance the distributor all the way forward the car would start up but very low idle and no compression(I need to press the gas down to keep it on) ANY IDEAS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! If you need anymore info feel free to ask!

Last edited:

boosted18

BLACK ROGUE
ecu sounds like my car did this too it started and shut off then i start it and kept it reved an it stayed on. check your ecu push all the connectors in and it maybe the sensor under your dash it looks like a gray box on driver side under the dash i forgot the name but if its bad it will kill your car

jelizondo_20

I recently had my timing belt changed and I had the same problems. The mechanic re-checked the timing and found it off a tooth and had to realign it. I'm pretty sure it's probably that.

mteg

Automatic Lover
Did the distributor you currently have installed come with motor, or did you swap that off your old one? Could be something simple like the ignitor or coil going out. Ignitor they can test at autozone. If it was a new dist (new as came with new motor), try swapping that with old one.

GuttaGutta JDM

I have this problem now aha, Took it to the shop and the guy said who ever did swap did a hack job, I'm gonna bet that your engine isnt getting enough air, I have to rev my engine for it to stay on and when i drive it First gear is ok to launch but it spunters and pops aha weird but its still drivable. I'm just going to take my motor out and buy a better swap and sell my old stuff

mteg

Automatic Lover
I have this problem now aha, Took it to the shop and the guy said who ever did swap did a hack job, I'm gonna bet that your engine isnt getting enough air, I have to rev my engine for it to stay on and when i drive it First gear is ok to launch but it spunters and pops aha weird but its still drivable. I'm just going to take my motor out and buy a better swap and sell my old stuff
Different scenarios. He said that the ecu wasnt messed with leading me to believe that he has same motor-just a new one vs. someone putting a different size motor which would require a new ecu and wiring. If your not getting enough air, you have one of three things wrong. Blockage somewhere, faulty map sensor, or a wiring problem. His problem sounds like its getting both air and fuel, but weak spark (hence it running when igintion is advanced all the way). In your scenario I'd lean towards a shitty wiring job...probably someone trying to either make a ecu work-instead of swapping, poor wiring skills, or just a hack job. Swapping a motor is straight forward, aside from the timing-everything should go back the same way...unless you are changing things.

cheekno

did u do ur timing belt n made sure ur top dead center? I was having the same problem with mine when I did timing belt after it snapped. then again song like a dirty ground or its not bolted down tight. doesnt hurt to redo all the step haha.