B18 N/A Build.

DB2Teg_Boy

How Can I make a good number with a B18 all motor without boosting?? Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thank You.

Kyle

Yes. I've seen all motor B18A/B builds make anywhere from 160-200+whp. They can be built to kill GSRs. Just an idea of a set up I've seen and plan on doing for my DC4
B18A (bore it out if you like and have the $$)
PR3 pistons on LS rods (bumps the C/R up to around 10.something depending on your cams)
Brian Crower Stg 2 cams with retainer kit(redline at 8500rpms)
Ported head
Ported IM (or buy an aftermarket one i.e Skunk2 or Blox)
Bigger TB (68 or 70mm)
Header (DC Sports are cheap but you can also get a Hytech rep header/Alpha Skunk2 header)
Tuned (Neptune,Crome, Hondata S200/300 you make the decision)

With set up I've heard that the B18B will just keep climbing to well past 8000rpms. So set your rev limited around there cause the R/S ratio sucks in B18Bs.Some people keep the stock trans and some upgrade to B16 trans. I've heard really good things about the stock LS trans cause it lets you stay in the powerband for a long time. Just depends on your budget.

Go to Honda Tech and check out other people's set ups but these can make a B18B one badass engine and will embarass many modded GSRs. Oh and it can be done for almost the same price as swapping a
B18C. Personally it's a great idea and I plan on starting my build this summer. Fck VTAK.:)

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
a build that can utilize crower 404 cams can make over 300 N/A.

B18A1 bored out considerably
you're going to want a fairly high compression so 12:1 or higher
crower 404s with their suggested valve train
port the head (dont polish)
Bolt on's of course.
1000cc injectors would probably be overkill, but they'd definitely never run lean on you (do some math and you can come down on the CC's)
walbro 255 fuel pump
a good tuner!!!!
Tuning software (for N/A chrome an stuff will work, but hondata's s300 is just so widely used, and it has so many options.)

and a lot of that power is going to be made in the machining (decking and shaving). You can build your own motor, but definitely get someone with experience to do the machining. If they only listen to you for 5 minutes or so about what you want, chances are you'll want to find somebody else.

Kyle

a build that can utilize crower 404 cams can make over 300 N/A.

B18A1 bored out considerably
you're going to want a fairly high compression so 12:1 or higher
crower 404s with their suggested valve train
port the head (dont polish)
Bolt on's of course.
1000cc injectors would probably be overkill, but they'd definitely never run lean on you (do some math and you can come down on the CC's)
walbro 255 fuel pump
a good tuner!!!!
Tuning software (for N/A chrome an stuff will work, but hondata's s300 is just so widely used, and it has so many options.)

and a lot of that power is going to be made in the machining (decking and shaving). You can build your own motor, but definitely get someone with experience to do the machining. If they only listen to you for 5 minutes or so about what you want, chances are you'll want to find somebody else.
300hp from a bored out b18? Your gonna need a CRAZY C/R to make that work. The amount of money to make that much HP you might as well boost or find a better engine (H22 or K20/24). And its Crome lol.

DB2Teg_Boy

Well thank you for your input. I already have my head ready got it ported shaved, also I have BC valves springs,retainers nd Stage 2 cams. Adjustable cam gears. Blox pro series IM, need a throttle. Also 440cc injectors. AC fuel Fuel. Tri-y headers nd CTR pistons. Stock Trans for now. Next on the list is the throttle 65 o 70mm, Ram air intake system, chipped computer, Fuel Regulator, 2.5 piping nd prolly a Dynomax muffler. Thoughts Plz!

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
300hp from a bored out b18? Your gonna need a CRAZY C/R to make that work. The amount of money to make that much HP you might as well boost or find a better engine (H22 or K20/24). And its Crome lol.
h22? lol do people actually build those? they way soooo much. and k's are so expensive to build. and 12:1 or 13:1 decked/shaved proportionally correct can definitely make 300. Sure your tolerances are going to be really close and your piston to valve clearance is going to be scary small, but its all about if you want a motor thats fast or a motor that lives.

Kyle

H22s can be built to be as powerful as many Ks. I think its a great engine to be honest. I'd much rather have a streetable 200whp B18B than a 300whp that will only last for 50hrs. lol

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Kyle, help me boosted k an ek this summer.

I'm hoping to make 180 at the wheels on my all motor b series.

Prozon

Kris
180 is reasonable. 200hp is also attainable. I don't expect you to hit higher then that.

If you're trying to make big numbers N/A, bore out your block, sleeve it, run the highest compression ratio you could possible get. Forged rods and pistons. Deck the block, shave and port and polish the head, run monster cams, and of course some race gas. Get a good tune.

Then go buy a turbo and boost that high compression motor. I'm interested to see what numbers it will make with a turbo. :thumbs up

Kyle

Kyle, help me boosted k an ek this summer.

I'm hoping to make 180 at the wheels on my all motor b series.
Only if you hook me up with an N1 and Stg 2 BC cams. And throw a retainer kit in as well. :lol:
I'm shooting for 160whp in mine. Lets hope some really good deals pop. Boosted EK ftw.

mirrorimg

I have crower stage 2. What are 404z?
Crower makes 402, 403, 404, and 405 series cams. Some people run 404's, but many people shy away from them if they are going to put the cams in their daily driver.

"Stage 1" : 402
"Stage 2" : 403
"Stage 3" : 404
"Stage 4": 405

http://www.crower.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?cat=869&q=honda

h22? lol do people actually build those? they way soooo much. and k's are so expensive to build. and 12:1 or 13:1 decked/shaved proportionally correct can definitely make 300. Sure your tolerances are going to be really close and your piston to valve clearance is going to be scary small, but its all about if you want a motor thats fast or a motor that lives.
Show me a dyno sheet before you throw around number like 300hp on an LS.

And H22's are only like, 80lbs heavier than a B18.

Last edited: