b18a n/a rebuild

codeman_11901

ok, so i have a b18a1 and i plan to rebuild it. as far as internals are concerned i want to replace just about every moving part from the top of the head to the crank. with that said, im looking for around 300hp. any suggestions of good parts and/or combinations to use to achieve that goal? btw, getting a nitrous kit as well. not factoring that into my hp goal. just looking to add about 150-175 horses. intake, fuel rail, any other little part i can get will help. going with a skunk2 intake and possibly skunk2 cam gears. budget is around 4000 total. what kinds of compression ratios? cam setup? timing? duration? lift? anything lol also was thinking of getting my crank knife-edged. would that be worth it? help me out everyone. thanks. :) i wanted to turbo it but i really dont have the knowledge to turbo a car and dont have the money to rebuild the motor to handle boost and still buy the 3000 dollar turbo kit.

Last edited:

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Very ambitious, but it's going to be pretty hard to get up to 300whp with a B18A1. Especially going NA. Also, Skunk2 doesn't make internals for the B18A1. I say you do more research. Good luck.

codeman_11901

well, they make cam gears but thats about it. thats really all i meant. going brian crower, eagle, and wiseco on most other parts. you dont know of any good parts with big power boosts?

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=21899

One thing you have to realize is that 300hp N/A on a B18A1 is going to be very very difficult. Pro's have a tough time make that power on a B18C1/C5 N/A. You're looking at well more than 4k for a budget, ITBs, and running on much more than pump gas. I'm still not sure you could do it even then. Honestly to turbo your car, all you need is a nice set of forged pistons and rods, and the turbo kit w/ tuning software/hardware (Crome, Hondata, AEM, etc).

In the long run, getting 300hp N/A from a B18A1 without factoring in the nitrous is gonna cost WAY more than a decent turbo setup.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=21899

One thing you have to realize is that 300hp N/A on a B18A1 is going to be very very difficult. Pro's have a tough time make that power on a B18C1/C5 N/A. You're looking at well more than 4k for a budget, ITBs, and running on much more than pump gas. I'm still not sure you could do it even then. Honestly to turbo your car, all you need is a nice set of forged pistons and rods, and the turbo kit w/ tuning software/hardware (Crome, Hondata, AEM, etc).

In the long run, getting 300hp N/A from a B18A1 without factoring in the nitrous is gonna cost WAY more than a decent turbo setup.
Yeah man. It's hard enough to get 200whp from a B18A1/B1 going NA.

codeman_11901

hm. well then. instead of beating down the goal, what suggestions do you have for power adders? i dont really want to turbo it because it is just another thing to go wrong. especially because if i turbo it i know i will want to push like 13lbs of boost. i had a plan for it before this but it seemed like it would be so much more difficult and annoying to try to boost it. it doesnt matter to me which way i go, im just looking for reliability in the long run because its a DD.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
hm. well then. instead of beating down the goal, what suggestions do you have for power adders? i dont really want to turbo it because it is just another thing to go wrong. especially because if i turbo it i know i will want to push like 13lbs of boost. i had a plan for it before this but it seemed like it would be so much more difficult and annoying to try to boost it. it doesnt matter to me which way i go, im just looking for reliability in the long run because its a DD.
We're not beating your goal down. We're trying to help. Who told you that turbocharging isn't reliable? Things can go wrong with a built NA motor too you know? And 13lbs. of boost is nothing. But to answer your question, you can start with the basic bolt-ons I/H/E. Then you can start getting internals such as cams, pistons, rods, etc.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
200 is pushing it. Ill hit 200 and maybe more, depending on how agressive i can tune it. Its possible to get 200 from just tuning to parts. FI will be your besst bet for getting a A1 up there, Unless you get the biggest cam they have. C1 is better to get a 300. FI is best bet though

Last edited:

codeman_11901

ok so, all around i hear that with a turbo it all comes down to tuning. your motor will last a day or many years all depending on the tuning. thats what makes me so wary to do it.

codeman_11901

btw, if i turbo it i will still have that 4k budget to work with at first. i can add little things later but to get my car up and running with a turbo i have 4 grand.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
First, do a compression test the tool is $30 at auto zone. If you have good compression, Turbo it. Kit costs 3-3500 from greddy brand new. Im sure people on CI have kits for sale or turbos. I chose Greddy cause its carb legal and its a complete bolt on kit. Tune for me is 180 per hour. and you will need a ECU to tune it on. as well as a jumper cable.

codeman_11901

i already plan to rebuild the engine. it has 170psi on cylinders 1 and 4 and only 150psi on cylinders 2 and 3. plus i want to upgrade the rods and pistons, along with the bearings and all the seals and everything. i have a b18a1 they dont sell turbo kits for my engine on there, i thought it was only for vtec. and its 3,350 i just looked lol. thanks everyone, i was just really frustrated with what to do because the motor is getting tore down anyway, might as well build it up ya know?

xusake

b1 is just the 3rd gen integra ls/gs motor code name and a1 is 2nd gen ls/gs code name for it motor. but they are about the same, just different in power and torque. You can pull around 200hp with just rebuild high compression sir. that the best way to go if you wanna keep it stock.