b18a1 any good?

slacker

Slackin since '88
So, I'm completely new to the honda scene, and I'm trying to learn a few things. Is the b18a1 a good engine? I know its a stock motor, but when people with civics or other hondas list their modifications they always include the fact that they have a "b18, b20" etc etc. Is the b18a1 the b18 they are referring to? Or is that the b18c1? Whats the difference? If I threw a vtec head on my b18a1 does that make it anything different? Sorry for the lack of knowledge here, but I'm trying to pick up on it.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
If someone says they have a B18, it could be any B Series 1.8L engine, they're not being specific enough to tell if it's a B18a, B18b, B18C1 or B18c5. B20 are 2.0L engines, they come from the Honda CR-V.
B18a and B18b = non VTEC.
B18c1(GSR) and B18c5 (TypeR) = VTEC engines.
B18a with a VTEC head is known as an "LS/VTEC" engine.

Is the B18a a good engine, in some ways yeah, in other ways no....

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Pro's, it's a good base engine to add a turbo to. It's a reliable engine overall.
Con's, well, they're old engines, they were made from 1990 to 1993. And they have less power than the B18b, it's 1994-2001 counterpart.

Don't do the LS/VTEC its a fail lol trust me
Why would you say that? I have an LS/Vtec in my 91 DB1 and it has outrun a boosted DC4 and an EP3. How is it fail?

I really hope your joking, seeing as your sn has b18 in it and the motor in your avatar is vtec...