B18b Head Resurface

skinny_chef

Just had the head resurfaced on my 94 Integra. Warped so bad, the shop took off 10mm. Before I waste money on a new gasket and bolts, is there any chance of reusing the head?

96LSteg

Jemel
do you mean .10mm?

10mm is alot! thats 1mm bigger that a 9mm bullet :lol:

If he took off 10mm throw that head in the trash or use it as a JDM toilet seat or something

96LSteg

Jemel
i believe thats reusable. You will just have to run a thicker head gasket because you have now up'd the compression by decreasing the size of the combustion area

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Thats .004" which is nothing. Thats a standard "why not" milling. You can still use an OEM head gasket.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
I've never found a max either in my years. Ive had to use minimum piston to deck/head clearances to answer that question.

There are 3 spots on the deck that you can measure the height of the head from. I dont know what they are called and they are not mentioned in the FSM at all. I call them depth ports or something. On a virgin GSR block I have measured to be .039" so well round up to .040. I dont think the block is designed for it to be milled to the point where those depth ports are gone/level.

The piston to head clearance is critical obviously. The more you mill off the deck the closer the two are. The piston to deck height in a virgin B18c is .033" PLUS the head gasket thickness of .027~.028" to give you a whopping .061" p2h clearance. My p2h minimum is .035" (including the HG) when building engines. Maybe .030" if you have very light piston/pin/rod assembly. So by that definition you could mill off .030" before you ran into trouble.

Of course you can compensate for any of this with a thicker head gasket from Cometic. Just be sure you measure the depth of those ports before and after milling.

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
Yea, there's a limit. They are easily found though I do not know the names.

There dime sized circles found underneath the head and are extruding from the bottom of the head level with the mating surface.

If they have been grazed by the milling machine the head is out of serviceable limit .