B18B removal question

Rich W

Hi all. My question is - if I was to take the B18B out of my car for repair/replacement is it easier/better or harder/impossible to unbolt the auto tranny and yank the engine alone or remove the axles and pull both the engine and tranny together? just wondering.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Easier to pull the engine and trans together for sure. I don't think you have enough room to leave the accessories on and pull the motor with the trans in place, so your left taking off the accessories, or removing the trans. I think the latter is easier.

Last edited:

Rich W

And this is removed up and out of the hood, right? I had a Nissan Maxima with a sideways V-6 and it was recommended that the engine and tranny be loosened and dropped to the ground and then raise the car up for removal. Crazy.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
You can lower it from the bottom if you want.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
When the cars are put together they put the engine in through the bottom then put the subframe and suspension in.
Taking the engine out from the top is still pretty easy, just make sure all of the mounts and accessories have been removed. I don't think you need to take the alternator off but everything else should be.

The hood on these cars can open almost vertical which is a huge help but I still recommend taking it off, especially if you have someone around to help.