B18C1 Build

derekkh

Prices. Haha. I saw everything else. Would I be able to use eagle h beam rods? What am I looking for as a match when buying my rods and pistons?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
They are a manufacturer not a vendor. Take the part number and google it. Youll find many vendors with prices.
Yes you can use any floating pin rod, which is virtually every aftermarket rod including Eagles.
Eagles are fine for your setup. The only requirement is the proper length which needs to match the crank you are using (LS crank = LS rods etc).
Real Street Performance offers piston and rod packages.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
@tegsox. Where did you get your pistons from and how much were they? Their catalog sucks.
I got them from importbuilders.com, but they're gone. They were $400, in 2004 anyway, heh.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Its all relative. Piston dome vs chamber volume. You can lower one and raise the other to achieve the same thing. When looking at pistons reference the head they are rating the compression with. You can use the Zealworks calculator to calculate the compression with a different head. The difference in chamber volume is only 1.1cc anyways.

The B16 head flows more CFM than the GSR head out of the box but if you plan to port the head then that difference is void. The main advantage of the GSR head is the quench pads. There are some significant advantages to minimizing quench space in a high compression application that I won't bore everyone with the details about. For that reason I prefer the GSR head.
I for one would love to attempt to follow that explanation.

I love dyno data myself. Best of all, before and afters. Nice dyno tegsox. Looks like your combination of parts net a nice tq gain. Are spoon cams considered a mild step up from the itr? I gather your vtec is 53-5400 and butterfly stock?

Though he could opt to change out the gsr manifold, he's within the performance range of the stock manifold and can still take advantage of its low end tq benefits as he's chosen to. I believe in the 190+ range its already limiting air flow.

There is an advantage to going with the skunk2 mani over the itr. They designed it with shorter runners and slightly larger plenum to push the power band up higher if i recall. Also to comment on head difference, the gsr ports are angled accommodating the flow of the manifold while the b16 and itr mani's enter the head more straight.

Heres a few related articles someone mentioned previously or similar

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/blogs/michaeldelaney/130-intake-manifold-tech-runner-size-calculations.html
http://www.team-integra.net/forum/blogs/michaeldelaney/3-ideas-flow-velocity-flow-capacity-flow-quality.html

Last edited:

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Oh really.. doesnt look like it picks up til halfway to 5500 on the graph. Spoon ecu's are set to 5k though so im not surprised.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Yeah it is unusual considering. I have an Uberdata setup for tuning, chipped OBD1 '95 GSR ECU. Can reburn it as many times as I'd like.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Do you think you just remember incorrectly? All of my graphs have activations pretty much on par with the designated rpm.

derekkh

How are the pistons holding up after 4 years? And how many miles? I saw them for 500 at realstreetperformance.com and then another site for 150..... Depending on how things work out the next couple weeks I should be putting an order in for at least new pistons and new bearings.

Could I still throw an LS crank into my new c1 block? Would I need to look into the b18b wiseco pistons and rods? Or do I still get gsr pistons but LS rods? I don't see anything besides stroke length which is due to the crank so if someone knows I'm all ears.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
The squish/quench pad on the outside of the piston is the area that generally gets closest to the head as it approaches TDC. This gap between the head and piston is on the outside of the combustion chamber and is beyond the valves.

By squishing this region you get two effects. There is a "quench" or cooling affect but the most significant effect is squishing this otherwise stale air into the center of the combustion chamber to promote thorough combustion and circulation.

Here is more information on quench/squish: http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Quench

By minimizing the quench distance you can increase power and decrease knock potential. Race teams will minimize this area to effectively zero. When the parts are up to full temp and rpm the piston will actually kiss the head.

The B16 head has a quench pad but its not as pronounced as the GSR head. Katman wrote a great post comparing both heads here: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=883510

derekkh

Awesome post. That helps so much. So the closer the deck clearance the higher the compression? Just to be 100% sure I read it right.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Could I still throw an LS crank into my new c1 block? Would I need to look into the b18b wiseco pistons and rods? Or do I still get gsr pistons but LS rods? I don't see anything besides stroke length which is due to the crank so if someone knows I'm all ears.
Yes use the LS crank if its in good shape. Have your machine shop balance and polish it. For connecting rod you want a LS length rod 5.394" for a LS crank. K1 rods are very good made by Wiseco HH5394ACFB4-A.

The pistons choices for a B18C1, 81.5mm are K566M815 for 12ish compression.

So the closer the deck clearance the higher the compression?
Yes, anytime you decrease chamber volume compression ratio increases.

derekkh

I think I'm following tegsox and going with the 81.5mm wiseco pistons and either k1 or eagle rods. Looking at the acl bearings and I think I'm sticking with the gsr head. Haven't decided on the intake mani but I am going full skunk2 alpha series valvetrain unless someone tells me otherwise.