B18C1 Loud Strange Noise.. Need a Valve Adjustment?

bvans

DC5-ED9
started up my integra earlier and this is what I heard.. You can't hear it too well it the video... but from what you can hear, does it sound like I just need a valve adjustment? I'm going to do one as soon as AutoZone gets the valve cover gasket in stock...
http://youtu.be/mKkEGFHwWME

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
That sounds like a lot worse than valve noise. Ummm, valve noise is a ticking. Is it banging?!?

bvans

DC5-ED9
Pepboys told me i need to do a valve adjustment.. as soon as i started my teg i was like wtf n drove to the closest shop.. pepboys.. ha but ya what do you guys think? at first i thought it was a mount or something.. when i rev its quiet then when it starts going back down to idle you hear it.. i bought a feeler gauge today hopefully a valve adjustment is the trick?

bvans

DC5-ED9
oh and no it's not banging.... dang guys anyone else have an opinion?

Black teg

Catch me if you can
That sounds nothing like a valve ticking, that sounds like a bearing on the bottom end has let go, and if so, get ready to replace the bearing on the crank for the rods, and maybe the crank as well it the bearing grooved the shit out of the crank.

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
The ONLY other thing I could think of, and it doesn't really sound like it but just throwing it out there, would be SEVERE spark knock. Anybody mess with the timing?

bvans

DC5-ED9
never touched the timing the 6 or so months i've had it.. been running perfect the whole time.
drop the oil pan.. fml. workin 5 days a week and taking 3 college classes just isn't working out for me this time

you guys think it's safe to drive her like this for a little? I wanna go around and get some opinions from other mechanics

phatintegra

Banned
never touched the timing the 6 or so months i've had it.. been running perfect the whole time.
drop the oil pan.. fml. workin 5 days a week and taking 3 college classes just isn't working out for me this time

you guys think it's safe to drive her like this for a little? I wanna go around and get some opinions from other mechanics
Hell no I would not drive it. I get it towed to a shop.

bvans

DC5-ED9
no ones open today.. and I have to go to work, shes my only car..
starting to think if this is as big a problem as I'm anticipating... maybe it's an excuse to rebuild for a turbo?
im sick of college right now and I'm leaving the country for a month so I'm probably going to fail all my classes.. might just drop college for now and do an overhaul..
you know when one thing goes wrong, everything does? i just paid $1240 to get my macbook repaired last Monday
damn.

phatintegra

Banned
Something is loose and floating around inside the motor. It sounds like a rod bearing or a valve broke. I would not drive it since you will damage the motor more.

I would dump the oil first and see if you see any metal shaving.

Last edited: