B20 smoking at idle when warm (I searched)

gustafse

I searched a lot and it sounds like could be valve guides? Is there anything cheaper/easier to check before I get into the engine??
Car does not smoke at start up, at stoplights when warm white/grey smoke comes out exhaust. When I press the accelerator to go a big puff comes out. Doesn’t smoke while I’m driving, at least not enough to see. Same thing if I have Ebrake on and no foot on brake. Smoke smells like exhaust, not sweet or coolant or anything. Does not smoke consistently but seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Runs great no power loss or weird idle. Oil is clean Coolant is clean. Any ideas? Engine has about 70k on it and fresh belts, water pump, valve adjustment. Was smoking a little before all that work too.
If its valve guides any recommendations on do that, or replace head or rebuild engine or just buy new low mile JDM? Just did the belts/pump so really don’t want to dig into this damn thing again.
Thanks in advance!

Is oil disappearing?

I personally would replace the valve seals, and if it continues, at least you have a good head. If you have the tools its pretty easy and I would use arp studs. Then I would go ahead and rebuild the block because the valve seals and the piston rings are the only things that come to mind

Last edited:

Muckman

Not a M0derator
It prob smokes on decel too which indicates oil is coming from the top. Start with valve seals but that usually means the guides are worn.

gustafse

I just drove it around. When cold no smoke whatsoever. Made 2 short trips no smoke. On the 3rd started smoking at idle bad. I bliped the throttle and kept the revs up for about 20 seconds and smoke completely went away. then at idle no smoke either. After I let it idle for about a minute I bliped the throttle again and a puff of smoke again. So seems to only happen after prolonged idle and at operating temp.
If its the valve guides/seats any reccomendations on what to upgrade while its apart? I dont have a garage where I live so working on this thing is a challenge.

biya

At risk of sounding like a noob I'll just come out with it. Could it be you pcv system. Maybe once the car warms up the valve gets stuck, allowing excess crank fumes into the intake tract. Pull the intake off and peek at the tb, is it covered in oil and stuff (excessive oil, a little is meh). Just my 2 cents, i could be wrong, just want to try to give you cheaper (albeit not likely) avenues to pursue.

Last edited:

gustafse

A new piece of the puzzle. Today I drove it on the highway pretty hard. Lots of WOT, high rpms etc. In fact I drove the crap out of the car for about an hour and was looking for smoke, checking temp, looking for any puffs during decal and I did not see any smoke while driving it this way. Even after I let it idle in the parking lot no smoke. Drove it home, lots of traffic, stop and go, no smoke. Sitting in the driveway, no smoke.
Now rarely do I hear anyone say “I fixed it by driving like an a-hole for an hour” but does this help in the diagnosis? I fully expect the smoke to come back but if it were valve guides/seats or head gasket wouldn’t all this driving have aggravated it a little not suppressed it?
Any thoughts?
BTW thanks for the help thus far I will be sure to let you all know what the end result is.
and Biya I will run and check that out right quick;

biya

Well it was worth a shot. If its any consolation my car would get soot on the back bumper like it smoked but I never saw smoke. I even had a friend follow me to watch and they saw nothing as well... yet the soot is there. As far as your situation goes... sorry man but you've got me.

biya

I just drove it around. When cold no smoke whatsoever. Made 2 short trips no smoke. On the 3rd started smoking at idle bad. I bliped the throttle and kept the revs up for about 20 seconds and smoke completely went away. then at idle no smoke either. After I let it idle for about a minute I bliped the throttle again and a puff of smoke again. So seems to only happen after prolonged idle and at operating temp.
If its the valve guides/seats any reccomendations on what to upgrade while its apart? I dont have a garage where I live so working on this thing is a challenge.
Sorry to double post. BUT. Sounds like an issue I refer to as "loading up" which is a diesel phenomenon. For gas though it means excess fuel. Maybe a clogged injector or bad O2 sensor... whens the last time the car had the O2's replaced?

gustafse

I couldnt tell you when the last time the O2 sensor was replaced so that may be worth looking into. Just recently it began not wanting to start the first time. Engine turns but no bumping stuttering or anything like its trying to start just cranking. Then Ill turn it off, try again and it fires right up. Pulled the plugs and they were all had a little white on the tips which would mean its running hot or lean right? The temp gauge is always in the same place when im driving (about 1/3rd of the way up, just the stock unit). I may replace the plugs (They are about due) just to see but I dont like the way this is heading with the starting issues. Next step ideas?

biya

Well whites lean like you said. I would say replace the o2 first then NGK iridiums FTW.

Cheesenip

I <3 2.4l's
What does it smell like? a smell will give us a better idea to where we should point you.

Fuel smell, id say a sticking injector, Oil smell, id go with valve guides/seals

gustafse

You guys won't believe it but the source of all my problems may have been the key... The car wouldn't start with the key facing one way, the green key on the dash would flash and the cat would just crank. Turn the key to the other side dash light goes away and she fires right up. As of now no smoke. I'll update you all on that but possible the key sensor was messing with the computer causing my car to smoke?? That would explain why it was so inconsistent. I have to laugh :)