B20 swap prep

2kdb7

So during the summer I plan on buying a b20 with a p8r head and swaping it into my 00 db. I know I need to swap over the intake and exhaust manifolds. And tune for the displacement difference. My question is what else will I need to make the swap. Currently at work and can't really search rite now any help would be awesome

2kdb7

Did a little more searching last nite. I found I can use my ecu just need to chip it. But still unsure on the obd because the b20 is 94-96 and I'm a 00. Also I read there is not a breather box on the b20 is this needed?

silver_DC

Ive been looking and researching the same swap for my 99. Ive noticed there seems to be a little bit of confusion whether a chipped ecu is needed or not. I have heard you can use one but its not necessarily needed. A couple of guys i know with the same swap have told me just to use the LS ecu and get an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, because it will be running a little lean on the LS ecu. But chipping wouldn't hurt, it just might be a waste of money if an fpr will fix that problem. And as far as the breather box thing goes, its designed to give a little more torque in the low end range, if i remember correctly. But you'd be swapping your LS intake on anyway so it wouldn't be needed. Just letting you know some of the things I've read in my search for swapping a B20 :D

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
well you can do the half ass ways as mentioned above or get an obd1 ecu on crome, and dyno tune it on crome. that will compensate for the A/F of any bolt ons and probably give you a bit extra power form what ever bolt ons you have. If you are in fear of running lean or rich on a p75 ecu then you should have the same feeling about running it with bolt ons.

decision4life

^^this, trust me i ran my b20 on an ls ecu and it was horrible compared to a properly tuned one, i went from around 23-24 mpg to about 30-32. The powerband is alot smoother too. Its definatly worth the effort of doing it right the first time.

2kdb7

Thanks for the advice. I've been looking at jumpers and ran into a few snags. How do I tell if I have an A or B obd I've read that's its the way the plugs plug into it. But its currently raining its balls off and not gonna let up anytime soon is one for auto and one manual? Also what's a good place to get one I've found several through Amazon and ebay around 40 to 50 then a skunk2 one for 150. I'm not wanting to cheap out but that's a lot. finally is a obd1 dizzy needed?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

ramatan

i just put a b20 in my 98 teg samurai blue is right tho just dyno tuned it .its way better.you can run a p75 ecu but it will be running lean i used to run one 2 and for the jumper you need a obd2b-obd1 for 00-01and obd2a-obd1 for 96-99