b20 vs b18c1 helppp

stevenDC2

okay so im a little confused about the b20... because some people say that the b20 sucks at top end and others say they are good all around. rite now i have a gsr and i like it but i want a hatch and the guy with the hatch has a b20 in it. its all stock.he wants to trade for my gsr... my question is if i put a vtec head on the b20 would it be better than the gsr? speed wise. or should i just keep my gsr??

mirrorimg

The head swap is not as simple as that.

GSR > B20

If you want to put a GSR head (or any VTEC head on a Non-vtec motor) you NEED yo upgrade the rod bolts to rev up to the GSR redline. Otherwise, you are stuck at the non-vtec redline. The rod bolts were not made strong enough to reach that limit and will stretch and snap and destroy the block.

Keep the GSR. Or get some cash from him along with the trade.

IMO, this is NOT a straight up trade with motors. A b20 = ~$500. A GSR = ~$1000

stevenDC2

he said he would give me 500 on top of the trade. roughly how much would it be to change the b20 to vtec??

jznsn2u

im pretty sure parts & labor will exceed over $500 on an engine you don't know about.

choyoyoing

How you like my v-tec?
mirrorimg is right! GSR > b20
Do you know how many people out there that have Tegs wish they had a GSR? I've heard of I dunno how many people that did a b20 swap .....then I later hear how the rods snapped~OUCH!!
DON'T BE THAT GUY LOL

Greddy FLIP

Turbos cause DETONATION
to tell you da truth if you put a stock gsr against a stock b20 vtec the b20vtec would spank the gsr ... more TQ

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
b20=pretty ddamn close to a b18b1(Ls) , unless your planning on a boost build, then keep the gsr

mirrorimg

to tell you da truth if you put a stock gsr against a stock b20 vtec the b20vtec would spank the gsr ... more TQ
NO!

You do not know what you are talking about. A Stock b20/vtec is simply a LS with a LITTLE more flow with more displacement. You do not get the extra 1500 RPM range that the cams need to make power. A GSR will take any b20/vtec that does not have upgraded rod bolts. And if the driver has a b20/vtec without ARP rodbolts, and is revving his engine to the 8500 redline, then I hope the bolts stretch, break, and he spins his bearings, because the bottom end was not made to see that rpm range.

stevenDC2

okay i see what you guys are saying. im just gona keep my gsr and make it an all motor setup.
but first what should i do to get more hp. i have just the basic bolt ons. headers exhaust intake.

JDM Tegra

I have a machanic here that build b20/vtec and they spank the shit out of typies and gsr's if built right... but takes a whole lot more then 5 hundred bones ill tell u that right now.... to get the block done and this is with out bolts and other shit is $200 thats just for coolant ports for vtec lol....

Daybid

Dump or Die.
I have a machanic here that build b20/vtec and they spank the shit out of typies and gsr's if built right... but takes a whole lot more then 5 hundred bones ill tell u that right now.... to get the block done and this is with out bolts and other shit is $200 thats just for coolant ports for vtec lol....
are you comparing a built b20/v VS a stock gsr?? lol