B20B prototype hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallblock

im workin on a prototype hybrib, b20 block - b18a head - b16 intake manifold- f22a timing belt- moroso electric water pump-custom ecu 10,500rpm redline and timing advancement with timing retard for nitrous
balance bottom end and custom ported head, imlookin to break the 200 torque mark cuz i dont see to many ppl do it allmotor, and lookin to make impressive power, but we're not determind that horse power ill get us down the track, hopefully we can get down 230lbs/ft of torque at the flywheel aint gonna be easy but it aint impossible, then we gonna put a lil gas to it and see how quick she gets down the track, and its going in a 1990 rs integra chassis

CHILD

all day all JDM
why run the B18a head? Port and polish a better flowing head.

and as far as not knowing if horsepower will get you down the track.....how about a B16A2 EJ civic making a shy 170 horsepower to the wheels hittin' low 13's. 13's aren't TOO impressive, but when you're only making 170 to the wheels it is. By the time you make your 200 ft/lbs of torque goal, you'll be pushin' probably almost double in horsepower.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
torque is a mathematical calculation expressing HP relative to RPM's. To make more torque you're gonna have to make more HP at lower RPM's sacraficing peak high rpm power. thats why honda's torque peaks are always at like 6k RPM's or something ridiculous like that. a small displacement engine has rev to make power. thats why they make top end power. No low power = little torque.

smallblock

yeah
smallblock integra, if u take a h22 and put it in that civic it would get down the track quicker, and i bet that civic was light too, and maybe that was measured at the wheels, but still why judge me because i wanna make a torque monster, im gonna make some power too, but i need the torque to be there also.In 1736-1819, James Watt the British inventor best known for his improved steam engines, who used the term to relate steam engine performance to that of horses. At the time horses were the primary energy source for applications ranging from pumping water from mines and turning grinding mill wheels to pulling carts and loads. Although sources differ on exactly how Watt arrived at the number, it’s generally thought that in 1782, he noted how quickly a brewery horse could turn a mill wheel of a certain radius, estimated the amount of force the horse needed to exert to turn the wheel, did the math, and came up with a value of 32,400 ft-lbf/min, later rounded to 33,000 ft-lbf/min. Comparing the power output of a steam engine to an equivalent number of horses was an easy way for prospective engine purchasers to compare power ratings, so the term stuck.
Torque is turning force, which for automotive applications is most often measured in either foot-pounds (ft-lbf) or Newton-meters (N-m). Imagine holding a 1-pound weight straight out, with your arm parallel to the ground. My arm measures about two feet from shoulder to wrist. If I hold a 1-pound weight straight out, the torque my shoulder experiences is roughly 2 foot-pounds (2 feet times 1 pound). If I were to hold a 10 pound weight in my hand, then the torque on my shoulder would be roughly 20 foot-pounds (2 feet times 10 pounds). Now think of this turning force applied to a wheel, such as if a lever was attached to the center of an automobile wheel. The more force you apply on that lever, the more torque you apply to the wheel, the more readily the wheel turns, and the faster the car starts moving. Torque is a measure of the ability of an engine to do work. It's a component of, but not the same as, the (horse) power of the engine, which is the rate at which work can be done. In an automotive engine, power and torque are related by a simple equation that considers torque, engine speed (in revolutions per minute), and a conversion factor:

Or you can say engine speed times engine torque divided by 5252 equals power (hp)

smallblock

also engine size play a mojor role into making more torque, but at the sacrifise of engine speed, like if u look at a B16 and a H23, a b16 has 160hp - 111lbs/ft or torque, h23 160hp - 156lbs/ft or torque, if u test them in the same car the h23 will be quicker, it does'nt have to have the higher mph but it will move the car down the track quicker, the h23 will be able to do more work than the little b16 because it has more torque, even though im going to use a b20 i want to see how much torque i can make out of it, and i do plan on doing a h23 project in the future hopefully, but like i said, its something i want to do, just because somoene else dont like it dont mean im not gonna try it

smallblock

damn them so long as post, and dc2gsr you are right, but when you look at engine biulding, you're lookin to make as much as you can with the fact of reliable power production in mind, i can make a imaginary engine and it'll blow up the first pass, i did'nt accomplish nothing, but you're cylinder heads play a mojor role 9the most important) then you're camshafts will dictate alot out of ur cyl head work, cams determine where, how much, and how big ur power and torque curves will look, but u have alot of things to look at when biulding an engine and i put up some long as post that i know not to many ppl wanna see and r gonna say some fucked up shit to

CHILD

all day all JDM
uhmmm, thanks for reminding me of what torque is and how it affects a car. If you're sooo strung on torque numbers, why dont you invest in a K24 with a high flowing head like a K20A

nobody's knockin' your idea dude, dont get all EMO

smallblock

oh naw i wont sayin u were but u know alot of sites have ricers and shit like that, i dont like the k20 design, see im used to biuldin v-8's with carbs and i been doing this import thing for a few years and its coming along well, we seen some 450hp300lbs/ft 2.3-2.8L mustang 4-cyl dirt track cars, and yeah i could use a k24, i just wanna see how much i can do with a b20, also hopefully i will be going with a h23 engine that will use crower custom stroker crank, and hinestly not to sound like a jackass, im not really impressed with these k engines, espacially in the torque numbers

CHILD

all day all JDM
i getcha.....its one of those, 'i told you so' projects......where you end up showin' the capabilities of custom work. i'll give it one thumb up :thumbs up

smallblock

yeah, im not sayin im the best in the world, but at the age of 21, i do some impressive work, like our 1158hp 350 smallblock chevy, and on dyno simulation (which is very accurate) a type-r with b20 dart block 700hp on 10 psi of boost, simulation only, cyl head configuration and camshafts play a very big major role

smallblock

oh naw i been racin for 8 years now, and i have fun doing it, but to win u gotta make sure ur stuff is right and ready to do the job, but the 700hp 10psi is just simulation not real but its possible

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
smallblock said:
but the 700hp 10psi is just simulation not real but its possible
doubtful!

2.0L 4 cylinder drag cars make 700hp. but they also use like 35 psi and nitrous

Status
Not open for further replies.