B20b Vtec with Stock Internals. Need Help !

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
sounds like you need to replace your distributor(with an oem one of course) and that should take care of your check engine light and the missing, and yes if your check engine light is on vtec will not engage(on a stock ecu). so get a new distributor and have fun:thumbsup:
couldnt it also be in the block?

I do not think so the block has anything to do with this, there a prob of distributor i do not know what, maybe grip when i tight them the check is gone after a Run the check is back with the same Error Code and missing on high Rpm where Vtec has to engage. :(

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
this is all good information but unless he has about a thousand dollars to spend at a machine shop to assemble the bottom end, check for clearances, and balance the rotating assembly, he should be fine revving to 7800. ive built enough b20 vtec motors to know from experience.
true, but what is the fun in having a VTEC motor if you can't hear it scream to its full potential?

A minimum of replacing the rod/main bolts, and bearings should be done. A good hone as well.

A respectable shop doing the hone shouldn't cost more than $150-$200. The bolts and bearings aren't expensive either. Maybe $400 total for a little peace of mind, is a small price to pay, if you ask me.
"Do it right, or you'll be doing it twice."

Sure the grand total of all the stuff on my "list" will be north of $1000, but it'll make it about as close to being just as reliable as a bone stock motor. All the bottom end machine work on my B20VTEC is going to be about $1200 or so. Bore to 85mm, block guard to be installed, hone, rotating assembly balanced to 11,500rpm.

My build isn't what I would consider "mild" by a long shot. About as far from stock as you can get, without having the block sleeved. Head is getting some MAAAAJOR work done as well.

shooting for about 250whp and 170lb-ft tq. naturally aspirated.

Hello everyone, My car has just been fixed from all the errors and tuning problems, i m running it on advance timing on stock B16 fueling. its a fun ride, the torque is amazing m pulling out a great power as my car is very light weight. the thing i m sad about is Vtec cross-over sound is not what it was before on B16 stock bottom end.? I thank you All Thanking me out.

wite2nr

invest in a set of aftermarket cams (and tune) and I guarantee vtec will be loud like you want it. also, you get a lumpy idle to intimidate people.

I guess for me Head work is Useless as i do not want my motor to rev above the Red line as m using Stock B20b bottom end plus i have obd0, not obd1 to chip it, and here its hard to find Obd1 ECU.