Backup cameras are now mandatory for all new cars

speedin

The Transporter
Urm... to be fair most automakers are already meeting the 2012 requirement. The 2013 isnt that far of a stretch. And by the time 2014 rolls around most new cars will already have those type of systems. I doubt anyone will really notice an difference what so ever. Think about how fast technology gets cheaper, smaller, and more available. Even the cheap budget cars like the Fiesa have things like voice command now. I mean I can go on ebay and get a full rear camera system under $100. For the OE manufacture its not going to be that difficult, or even that expensive per car. I bet for a small system in the rear view you would be looking at an OEM cost of less than $50 per unit. $400 is a big exaggeration here, if that person from Ford even had the right to speak on that (they might have left them nameless for a reason, it was bullshit) they are more than likely fluffing the numbers and throwing a fit over it on purpose, not because it will cost them that much, but because they want to get the large mass of consumers behind them with a big fake number just to keep from being regulated that little bit more. You dont need a full sat-nav screen in every car, just a small lcd panel in the rear view and your set. $400 would be more like the cost to install a full sat-nav screen and radio but just leaving off the navigation part. All this assuming these rules are actually followed, which given the number of loop holes large corporations have I doubt you will even see this followed stringently. I wouldnt sweat this... if you want to sweat something sweat over the rule that forced this....

Aston Martin Cygnet

Last edited:

Visionnaire

Technology will more than likely make it cheaper, but I don't see the need to make it mandatory when not everyone might not have a need for it?? I've tried to use it on rentals I get that come with it, gives me a headache...

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
My Lexus has it built into the navigation, I like it. I didn't think I would give shit about it when I bought the car. But after daily driving it for a while, then get back into one of my other cars, I always catch myself looking for it lol. It's not like it's necessary but I have grown to like it. Even though I do like it, I couldn't justify making it mandatory.

Last edited:

speedin

The Transporter
Its kinda like tire pressure systems imo, if everyone had a shred of common sense then there would be no real need for them, but people are morons. And moron stereotypically fat American exhibit "A" cant turn his/her fat ass head around to look behind as he/she backs up, and lets be honest for backing up the rear-view is just insufficient when doing something more technical. Exhibit "B" is the soccer mom who couldnt drive a pedal car on a good day, if this keeps her from backing into a car in the parking lot in her monstrosity of a SUV then job well done imo.

So do we really need it... no not at all... does it really matter though, no not really. I bet people caused the same fuss when the tire pressure systems were made mandatory, and i'll tell you what, those systems cost much more than a rear view camera would. But again I bet there will be so many loop holes none of this will matter. Do you really think the next 911 GT3 RS, or Ferrari F70 is going to have a screen for a rear view camera?

Last edited:

DC4twokone

Resident Hoodrat
Top of the hill
<Auto Industry>
Bottom of the hill

It's on its way down, at least for the hands on workers. So much electronic equipment and wiring..

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Good point Mark, it would help prevent most of the occasions when someone backs into your car because they either:

A) bought something larger than they can maneuver
B) have their head up their ass or
C) all of the above

speedin

The Transporter
It's on its way down, at least for the hands on workers. So much electronic equipment and wiring..
Thats not necessarily a bad thing. Its alot easier to manipulate code, than design and build a part. For instance, this little screen for a rear view could be easily manipulated to play movies, have a navigation function, etc. With a all digital dash you could change the style of all the gauges to whatever you want, add gauges take them away. Want a EGT gauge? Done, A/F ratio, done, and etc just by playing with whats already there. There just needs to be more aftermarket people working on this, but i guess not enough cars have these things yet so soon enough...

Good point Mark, it would help prevent most of the occasions when someone backs into your car because they either:

A) bought something larger than they can maneuver
B) have their head up their ass or
C) all of the above
You forgot fat ass! LOL.

You know what I want? A system on doors that will stop the door from opening if it gets to close to another object. I always park in the back of lots but I still get door dings. Bastards...

Last edited:

DC4twokone

Resident Hoodrat
That is true but, one of the reasons i like the integra is its pure simplicity. But then again, there are plenty of newer cars that manage to hide away all of these systems and give the raw feel of driving that i love.

jbrown97ls

I think it being mandatory is idiotic, but i agree that it will help prevent the moron drivers from backing into yours or my car. It's not a big deal though, most cars that need it (SUV's for example) have it now so it was only a matter of time before all cars have it.

jbrown97ls

You know what I want? A system on doors that will stop the door from opening if it gets to close to another object. I always park in the back of lots but I still get door dings. Bastards...
My doors are a prime example of why this should be invented

speedin

The Transporter
My doors are a prime example of why this should be invented
Integra's at least have door guards! Pisses me off. You wouldnt want me to make that system, id have a sensor in it that would realize your throwing the door open carelessly with a car parked right next to you and id trigger the airbag to knock that bitch out! Then id wirelessly connect to the nearest same make car in the parking lot and hopefully use the rear cam to post a video automatically on YouTube. :lol: See rear cam is already becoming useful HAHAHA!

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
well, i tried using one today and its weird to try and back up with it, i wouldnt use it.just make it beep like the lincolns.