bad fuel economy???

treybombRW

hey i have a 92 teg ls and i'm frustrated with the fuel economy i'm getting. i've changed the fuel filter, plugs/wires, distributor car/rotor, i changed the main fuel relay also and i've been running regular gas. all in all i'll put 45-47 litres in and i get about 410-430 kms and i do alot of highway driving. it just seems like i should be getting about 500 km's to a tank if i do that much hwy driving. any advise would be great.

money

dude i get 400ish same as u :/ on my 96 integra! how much are we suppose to get ? LOL

THE WITCH KING.

How are your injectors? Could be time to get them cleaned. Run some seafoam through your shit. I noticed a bit of an improvement when I ran seafoam.

mirrorimg

Tires inflated properly? When was the last time the O2 sensor was replaced? Do you have any CELs?

Converting to gallons and miles for us in the U.S.,

45 litres = nearly 12 gallons
400km = 248 miles.
So that means 248/12= 20.67 mpg. Thats pretty poor of you ask me. I am averaging 24 or 25 with a bit of work done to my motor.

Do you run your car beyond the empty line? When I am on E, it takes 10 gallons to fill up (which is about 38 litres for you). Seems like you are driving for a while before you hit the station.

treybombRW

the o2 sensor has never been done and the fuel injectors... i have no idea if they are dirty or not. when i fill up on the empty line it usually takes 42-46 litres and at that point i'm usually at 400- 420 kms sometimes 430 if i'm lucky. i do drive for a bit longer when my car is on the empty line without over doing it. my tires are at 34 psi which is just right in my opinion. i was told that integra's in general should get about 500-525 kms when they are run to almost dry. it has 251k on the motor so i could be the age and build of carbon deposits and such. would removing the A/C help at all seeing as it will take a load off the motor?

THE WITCH KING.

DUUUDE! Don't run your car past quarter tank. Its bad for your fuel system. If your O2 sensor has never been done might as well do it. It's only like, 30 bucks for a replacement honda.

Mirrorimg is right though. Check you tire pressure and all of the other obvious s***. I highly recommend seafoam if you think you got a bunch of carbon deposits. It really does work imo.

treybombRW

k well i checked my tire pressure and its ok, and i'll do the o2 sensor asap, i don't know what seafoam is or how to run it but i'll figure it out.

treybombRW

i just looked into the question about running my tank below a quarter and every source says its because there is sediment in the bottom of the fuel tank.... but isn't that what a fuel filter is for?

gs300cky

yes and no.. fuel filters catch and filter what gets sucked up and delivered to the engine but if the deposits are stuck to the bottom of the tank then no they wont atually come out. and when do you shift? whats ur average speed? these are all massive factors. and yes removing weight does help alot.
ps in snow season they switch to a junk fuel so everyones gas mpg kpg goes down quite a bit.

treybombRW

well my car is automatic so she does all the shifting for me unfortunately. and i usually do about 5-10kms above the speed limit lol. i live in ontario and winter is pretty much over now where i'm located so i'd hope they have the good fuel in the pumps now.
what weight reductions would you recommend? i've already removed the spare tire and any stuff in the trunk and a few other minor things. A/C is next.

mirrorimg

Removing the AC will do nothing but take some weight out of the car. There is no load on the engine when the AC is not turned on. Only when it is turned on does the clutch in the compressor engage. I see no benefit in removing it unless its not working.