Bad Guage or Crappy mileage

OlegWasHere

Ok so I know from what I've read integra gas guages like to spaz. My needle never quite makes it too fullbut I put in about 10.3 gallons when I'm on E(I've never gotten the light). Right now I'm about 40 miles from my last fill up with a click and I got change back but my guage is almost exactly halfway. Last time I reset the trip meter and it was at 150 for pretty much the whole tank. Now I gtta admit I do have a heavy foot but most of my driving is highway 15 miles each way not including the .2 miles too work

When I was replacing my cam seal I saw a spark plug kinda bent but the car runs fine. Bent it back and now it's on securely. Any other ideas why my 4cylinder feels like my suv...

And I use 89 octane on a special edition if that matters

Rich-PMS

Doesn't carcar have like a 12-13gallon tank?

Which means you're not using up all the gas before you fill it.

I have a mildly heavy foot, and I get 29+ mpg

mirrorimg

When the gas light comes on there is a couple gallons left. Thats how our cars were designed, so that you dont run out before you can make it to a gas station. When the pump stops, the tank is full. The nozzle is made so that when the fuel hits the tip of the nozzle, it shuts off.

The proper way to calculate gas mileage is miles traveled (tripmeter) divided by gallons filled (at the pump when you refill). It doesnt matter if you empty your tank further, you will still be averaging the same mileage. (i.e. 165miles/11 gallons = 150miles/10gallons)

You did it right, and 150/10.3 is some pretty bad mileage. I suggest replacing your spark plugs. "Bending" a spark plug back into shape is not a fix. If it was the ceramic portion it is probably cracked.

I get 26 MPG with a VERY heavy foot. I don't normally shift until 4,000 RPM or so, and 29-31 when making long trips to northern VA.

I suggest a little tune up: Plugs, distributor Cap and rotor, and plug wires.

inteeegraaaaaa

I also have a VERY heavy foot, i normally hit 6k in first and second then shift at about 4k after that on a regular basis, and still get about 24mpg. I also just completed a 3000mile trip cross country and averaged 30.7mpg cruising at a speed of about 80-85mph.

I'd agree with mirrorimg, do a full tune up. plugs, cap, rotor, wires, even fresh oil and an air filter... after that fill your tank to the top, if the pump clicks squeeze it again. (no more then one more time). after that reset your trip meter, drive around about an hour or 2, go fill up again and see what mileage your getting now.

Rich-PMS

Some tanks are weird and click off and then take another gallon or so.

I would try to "top it off" very slowly and see how much extra gas goes in by looking at the pump

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
My needle never quite makes it too fullbut I put in about 10.3 gallons when I'm on E(I've never gotten the light). Right now I'm about 40 miles from my last fill up with a click and I got change back but my guage is almost exactly halfway. Last time I reset the trip meter and it was at 150 for pretty much the whole tank. Now I gtta admit I do have a heavy foot but most of my driving is highway 15 miles each way not including the .2 miles too work
If you are putting 10.3 in then you are filling it up. Integras have a 50L (13.2 gallon) tank. The fuel light is supposed to come on when there is about 3 gallons left so you're right in that area. 150 miles on a tank is absolutely lousy on an Integra. I was getting about 300-330 out of my GSR even with a heavy foot. That is worse gas mileage than my Eclipse GS-T gets and it is a 2.3L stroker engine with 750cc injector, upgraded fuel pump and larger turbo.

OlegWasHere

When the gas light comes on there is a couple gallons left. Thats how our cars were designed, so that you dont run out before you can make it to a gas station. When the pump stops, the tank is full. The nozzle is made so that when the fuel hits the tip of the nozzle, it shuts off.

The proper way to calculate gas mileage is miles traveled (tripmeter) divided by gallons filled (at the pump when you refill). It doesnt matter if you empty your tank further, you will still be averaging the same mileage. (i.e. 165miles/11 gallons = 150miles/10gallons)

You did it right, and 150/10.3 is some pretty bad mileage. I suggest replacing your spark plugs. "Bending" a spark plug back into shape is not a fix. If it was the ceramic portion it is probably cracked.

I get 26 MPG with a VERY heavy foot. I don't normally shift until 4,000 RPM or so, and 29-31 when making long trips to northern VA.

I suggest a little tune up: Plugs, distributor Cap and rotor, and plug wires.

ive read that ngk plugs and wires. are pretty good. (wires seem ok though)

is there a diy guide for this.
ive had the car on the road since November when a coolant flush was done the guy said everything looked ok.

im not much of a gear head as a techie but im a quick learner.
im not sure when the filter was changed but before i take my trip to cape cod in a couple weeks i plan on changing it with fresh 10w-30 mobil 1 with mobil 1 filter.

If you are putting 10.3 in then you are filling it up. Integras have a 50L (13.2 gallon) tank. The fuel light is supposed to come on when there is about 3 gallons left so you're right in that area. 150 miles on a tank is absolutely lousy on an Integra. I was getting about 300-330 out of my GSR even with a heavy foot. That is worse gas mileage than my Eclipse GS-T gets and it is a 2.3L stroker engine with 750cc injector, upgraded fuel pump and larger turbo.
i was getting better mileage on my v6 suv.

Last edited:
ls integras have a 10 gallon tank but still at 15 miles to a gallon there is something definately wrong lol I would personally test the compression also because unless your dizzy cap is totally fucked and spark plugs are fouled up due to horrible spark plug wires there is something else going on. Maybe check the o2 sensors as well.

OlegWasHere

ls integras have a 10 gallon tank but still at 15 miles to a gallon there is something definately wrong lol I would personally test the compression also because unless your dizzy cap is totally fucked and spark plugs are fouled up due to horrible spark plug wires there is something else going on. Maybe check the o2 sensors as well.
i thought all integras came with the 13.2 gallon tank.

i dont have any cel
i used to think it became part of the cluster it was on for so long.

i replaced the temp sensor and everything seemed to be back to normal.

when i took the head off to fix the cam seal the spark plug on the 2nd or 3rd wire was down in the engine and didn't pull up with the rod. When i took the head off my friend pulled it out and rebent it.
but i think its time for new ones anyway.

i have no trouble starting

i noticed a little more vibration in the car then usual but nothing to be alarmed about.

no smells
the gas cap didn't seem to have pressure on the lowered end of the tank but i just checked it and it depressurized when i took the cap off. (at half a tank of gas)

j13

Keep It Clean
If I were you ill have the o2 sensors tested if they're withen working order. You don't need a CEL to have a problem. A CEL will only tell you something that has 80%-100% failed. If something is old its not going to work proper and the CEL won't come on. Also check if your cat is still good. A tech could tell if its good by tapping it and checking if there is any loose burned dabree.

Maybe your injectors are clogged and they are spraying heavy and not even.

OlegWasHere

Could this be done at an autozone or do I have to take it to a shop? For the 02 sensors

And fuel injectors not really sure where those are ...