Bad Neighbour Update.

treeafodo

Austin
Well, some of you guys know that my neighbour has been an idiot recently, and it's just getting worse. He goes out of his way to block the parking spot in front of our house(can easily park 3 cars there) so no one can park there, he killed our tree with a weedwhacker, put rocks in our yard, and killed our bushes.
Over the holidays he decided to park in the middle again, and with everyone on our street having out of town family over there just wasnt room for that with all the extra cars on the street. So 6 neighbours, my dad and I jacked up the back end of his truck and pushed it into his driveway. It took forever, but we managed it. This morning My dad woke up and said he parked between our houses(our property) he said he rang the door bell and told him to move the truck. He did, but you can still see the tire marks.
I'm not sure why he's like this, we never did anything to annoy him in the 10 years we've lived here. It never bothered him that we've parked there for the 9 years prior to this one.
Anyways, my parents have had enough of it, so what were going to do is get a blueprint to map out the exact property lines, build a privacy fence straight across there, and in the area where his trailer is pictured (between the houses) we're going to build a little lean to garage for me. So that I can put my project car in there during winter months.

My house is the one on the right, he parked between them this morning.

As far as we know our property line is from where the fence goes to the post on the gate.

Anyone have any experience with bad neighbours? Any word of advice?

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
There is sometimes a marking on the sidewalk to divide the two properties. Using a plat map will give you the dimensions of the lot along with the location, but sometimes it may be difficult to get a reference point..
http://sanjoserealestatelosgatoshomes.com/what-is-a-plat-map-and-what-can-you-learn-from-it/
If you want a copy, let me know and I'll have someone pull it up for me so I can email it to you.
As for building the fence, great idea, just be sure you're within your own rights and property lines, last thing you want it more conflict with the person that lives right next to you.

XjoEnX

Ooooooh I see exactly what you mean now with that third photo.

I would honestly think that the way your fence is set up in the backyard, the neighbor would naturally assume he owns that part of your property since your fence can be mistaken for where the property line ends.

Definitely go ahead with that property blueprint. Seems to be the only thing left to stake claim to the property line. But it'll probably make your neighbor hate you all forever and be an even bigger a-hole to you. Be prepared for that. Best of luck to you and your fam though. Happy new year!

treeafodo

Austin
Thanks Patrick, I'll search online for one of those maps for my area, if I cant find it I'll have my parents call the city, and they can come out and mesaure it. We want to make sure we're on our property before building the fence. Like you said, it'll cause more problems if it's even the slightest bit on his property. I already know as soon as we build this fence in the spring(the ground is too frozen right now) He'll trip a nut and go mesaure everything just trying to start a fight.
Don't forget to show your neighbor that blueprint too.
Yeah, we'll have to do that too. Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited:

HonDaReal

Just have they city come out and do it so if he violates anything they will have ur side. Taking up more than one parking space is also illegal so call the cops on his ass wen he does that.

covert_Con

Senior Ricer
Makes me love my apartments even more, the property ends where the walls are :D

Like everyone said, build a fence. Governments do that all the time and it works.

mirrorimg

If he blocks your driveway, you can call the police and when they come see it, they can call a tow truck to have the vehicle towed. I did it when I was renting a place near my university. Unfortunately, they wouldnt tow it because we werent the property owners.

The rule around here is that a car must be parked 5ft from the entrance of a driveway. If its blocking in anyway then you can have it towed because its preventing either your own or emergency access to your property.

treeafodo

Austin
is that his trailer in your yard?
Best we can tell, yes it is. My parents are pretty sure that our yard continues like the fence would, straight to the gate. My parents said they are going to have the yard measured and staked out in the new year.

Brockey

Hey, as for parking on the road in front of the house, nothing can be done. In my area anyways. Neighbor lost it with me a few years ago for leaving my truck in front of their house for four weeks while I was out of town. Threaten to tow it and they got nowhere. Glad I don't live there anymore.

Now from a surveyors point of view. That's what I work at. There sometimes is two or more points on your property installed by a surveyor years ago that you could measure out of to get your boundaries. If not you will have plans for your property right? Still no good unless he have pins. You may have to get a surveyor to come in and lay out your corners again. Around here that cost close to $1000 I think. I don't work legal work, just construction so I could be a bit off, plus prices could be more or hopefully less in your area.

Good luck. But what a &$@? To park on your grass.

Last edited: