Bad rings or heads?

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
Okay so before I buy a new motor and go through all the hastle, I have a 98 civic with a d16y8 block, d15b7 head. It smokes at idle and a major cloud of smoke when at over 2500 rpms.... Its pretty bad. And a lot of buildup in the tailpipe. (Black) So I can't decide whether it would be rings or heads. If the block is good then I'll just get new heads but if it is rings then I will get a used motor and put it in.
Block has 228k miles, head is unknown. Has a new timing belt and the timing is spot on. Headers and exhaust has been done within the past year.
I know I'm vague but all of my research shows that it was bad rings when it didn't smoke at idle. No milky oil, was a quart low when I bought it and its only been driven a few miles and at idle for 15 minutes since then (was topped off with oil and hasn't burnt any)

" I’d rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me. "

Nick_C78

Compression test or leak down. However symptoms of bad rings is usually constant smoke that gets worse with higher rpm. Especially when engine is under a load.

Bad valve seals and valve guides from head is usually smoke on start up, but dissipates as the oil burns off. Basically when the car is left sitting oil leaks past guides. Once it burns off the smoke is gone. However, reeaaally bad guides can smoke on deceleration too while engine braking.

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
Yeah I redlined it once and it engulfed my Integra parked behind it. The pic I posted is on idle at a little under 1k rpms

" I’d rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me. "

R13

The other asshole
I had a '92 civic that did that exact same thing, had a d15b7, I took the head off and had it rebuilt, Reinstalled it with all new gaskets and valve seals, Didn't change anything, Turned out to be rings.

I compression tested it, leakdown tested it, All came up good but it still smoked like hell.

A little later a mechanic told me about a few stories like that he'd had how he went through the head thinking the rings were good but it was the oil rings, I guess occasionally just the oil rings fail and it's hard to determine it when compression and leakdown looks normal. :what:

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
Yeah I'll just throw a new motor in it. No point in throwing more money in it. Just didn't want it to be something like a bad hg and me put a motor in it

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
Will it bolt right up to the trans or have to swap both? A buddy told me I couldn't b swap it without motor, trans, and wiring harness

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
You just need the hardware, the harness will work. Also need OBD1 alternator and distributor, and of course the correct ecu.

Ganyon

Just swap in a new d16z6 and make sure you clean up the bay while the motor is out and paint the block on the new motor silver. Then paint the valve cover red and be done with it. Just make it clean.

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
So I just picked up a d16y5 vtec-e motor. All set up and ready to go with alternator, starter, intake, and a bad transmission hooked up to it...was going to do a dohc swap but it was cheap and convenient. Will be swapping the motor on my build thread this weekend

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
I was doing some research and found this. It might help you.
http://www.ej9.ru/english/civic-ej7-d16y5-hx/
A lot of useful info. Nicecto find comparison forctge two on one page. Seems like a simple swap. Only thing i dont have is the ecu. I have a p2p and p2e (d16y8 and d15b7) but nothing i cant go get cheap

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast