Base map til tune

hgocasca

level 77 troll
Alright, so I'm throwing together my build soon, and my tuner says it should be fine to run my stock map up to his dyno (~50 miles). Running tuner series stage one cams, pro series high comp valves, I/h/e, possibly pr3 pistons std bore. This is all in my b17. I feel like the compression will be too high and I might knock. My knock sensor doesn't work and is disabled via s300. So any opinions from self tuned people or others with decent knowledge? I'm firing it up and driving straight there after the warm up and oil change. Anything I should do to the map? I have an Aem a/f meter so I can monitor everything as far as a/f #'s go. I am in Colorado so I know my actual effective comp ratio is lower and I run rich as fuck on my stock motor/tune. thanks in advance.

My high comp LSV was on an ITR basemap til it got to the tuner. I think you'd be ok with that as long as you are ginger on the drive over.

hgocasca

level 77 troll
Ugh lol I wanna hit tec so bad, it's gunna take everything not to

hgocasca

level 77 troll
With the altitude I'm at (mile high Denver) I'd be more than satisfied with seeing 160-170whp and 110-120ftlbs of torque to the wheels. Unfortunately for me, the air here is thinner and therefor less dense. In addition to the altitude, b17's have a low compression from the start, so I had to mill the head and use high compression valves to make up for it.

Prozon

Kris
What's your break-in routine? I noticed you said let it warm up and change the oil. Are you not running 500 miles or whatnot first?

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
a basemap ITR will be fine...just dont do any full throttle.

In partial throttle, your o2 sensor will help manage the a/f ration when it is warmed up

hgocasca

level 77 troll
What's your break-in routine? I noticed you said let it warm up and change the oil. Are you not running 500 miles or whatnot first?
I'm not using new rings due to me keeping the oem pistons. I did a complete rebuild ~15k ago, so everything is tits still. Just swapping a built head for my oem head. So I don't exactly see the need for a 500 mile break in. I'm doing the oil change after warm up so I can break in the cams. I was told something about letting it idle for 20mins then changing the oil.

hgocasca

level 77 troll
a basemap ITR will be fine...just dont do any full throttle.

In partial throttle, your o2 sensor will help manage the a/f ration when it is warmed up
My tuner said the oem map should be tits for the drive up. He just recommended like you said, be easy on the throttle til I get there, and don't do anything dumb.

Thank you for your response, I appreciate the advise everyone here lends me.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
Trailoring not an option? If not then baby the fuck out of it on the way there, hitting vtec once and blowing it up...or playing it safe and hitting vtec all day everyday? I'll leave that decision to you. Also Kris the whole 500mile break in stuff is bullshit. It takes about 15-20minutes to seat rings, outside of that what are you breaking in? Gaskets, water pump, oil? Some cam/clutch companies have different "break in" procedures.

Best break in procedue I know of:

http://www.laskeyracing.com/shop/breakin.htm

hgocasca

level 77 troll
I'm not doing any kind of break in, so idk wtf that's all about lol. I'm just swapping a stock head for a new built head with higher compression. There will be no fun til the dyno, I'm driving straight there, and setting a rev limit at ~3200rpm's so I can do freeway speeds, that's it. I am 22 not 16, I know how to be responsible. Can we please let this thread die? Thanks guys for all the help offered, I got a gameplan. And if I could trailer it, I would. But obviously I can't or I wouldn't ask lol. (no disrespect to you nerk, just saying lol)