battry cable spark

importtunerman

importtunerman
kind of a long one but wen i went to start my car earlier tonight i turned my lights on and then went to start it and heard a snap noise and it didnt even turn or anything just lost all power i went to the power cable at the battery and lifted up on it and my lights and everything came on so i knew i had power so i went to start it again and it did the same thing.
i got my friend to try to start it while i held the cable and it did the snap noise when i lifted it and i saw that it would spark. and lose power then we tried again and it started but sparked wen it started up. i turned it off and lifted the cable and moved it around some and it kept sparkin everytime i moved it. anyone have any ideas to what is goin on?

mirrorimg

From your description it sounds like it has a bad connection. I suggest cutting of the end and putting a new battery cable end on it. Is there a lot of corrosion around the pos/neg terminals?

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
could be a short in a main wire, is it like an electrical snap? if so it definitely a short or arc, which could be in many places
damn u mirrorimg, postin at the same time as me! lol jk

importtunerman

importtunerman
lol, ya its an electrical snap and i have not checked for corrosion and i just cut the ends off and re did them like a little over a month ago

heykosal

Angkorian
You may have missed something when you re-did it. Double triple check all connections to the battery. Don't forget the grounds.

guiltyxxspark

Internet Hate Machine
Sounds like the connection is loose. Tighten the connectors around the poles on the battery and try again. It sounded like you were able to "lift" the cables right off. There's your problem.

importtunerman

importtunerman
ya it had alot of corrosion so i recut it and wat not and put it back tight. when i started the car some smoke started coming from the engine not much though and it was not thick could that have been where the corrosion dust got on there and it was burning it away? and it that bad? lol

heykosal

Angkorian
Are you sure you didn't "jump" the two terminals on the battery? Doubt it, you would've gotten a huge shock from that.
But if that did happen, you probably need a new battery.

Are you sure your battery is even good?
Checked state of charge?
Checked battery capacity(load)?
Cranking volts sufficient?

importtunerman

importtunerman
ya i think i will go with new cables....
i thought i might need a new one but mines good i think like it works and all but il get it checked for dead cells