Beefing up Auto tranny

ju10

I have to get tranny rebuilt- Can get it done for $350 just wondering if theres a way to beef it up in the process. I don't wanna pay for that level 10 s*** cuz it $500 for a some washers lol
Don't wanna go manual either cuz that s*** cost out the ass too- might as well buy a new dam car if I do that lol

So is there a way to rebuild w/ better parts or swap in a diff tranny? Its a daily driver so I wanna take it on the highway and shit...

Last edited:

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
I have to get tranny rebuilt- Can get it done for $350 just wondering if theres a way to beef it up in the process. I don't wanna pay for that level 10 s*** cuz it $500 for a some washers lol
Don't wanna go manual either cuz that s*** cost out the ass too- might as well buy a new dam car if I do that lol

So is there a way to rebuild w/ better parts or swap in a diff tranny? Its a daily driver so I wanna take it on the highway and shit...
Manual swap is about as expensive as that rebuild you're talking about, maybe a bit more. Trust me, it's worth it.

If you're set on keeping the autotragic, get an mp4a transmission I believe it's called (automatic gsr trans) or upgrade your torque converter which will cost you out the arse as well

ju10

Wut about the S4XA transsmission I found a site that says its for the b18c & b20 Is that correct?

http://www.alnjdmautomotors.com/index.php/94-95-jdm-acura-ls-rs-gs-gsr-automatic-transmission-b18b-b18c-b20b.html

EDIT: just found out that the sir-g (auto gsr) and ls auto have same tranny: http://www.team-integra.net/forum/14-performance/63889-anyone-have-info-auto-sir-gs.html

The b16 auto is different gear ratios, but wut does that mean? I just wanna know if the b16 auto is strong enough for ls/vtec
B16
1st Gear 2.600
2nd Gear 1.516
3rd Gear 1.078
4th Gear 0.722
Final Drive 4.333

B18
1st 2.722
2nd 1.468
3rd .975
4th .638
final drive 4.357

Last edited:

mteg

Automatic Lover

So is there a way to rebuild w/ better parts or swap in a diff tranny? Its a daily driver so I wanna take it on the highway and s***...
It's a little more than $500 washers lol. In addition to the clutch pads, they replace a lot more. There is no off the shelf, you call and tell them what you want...how much hp you plan on having, etc... Besides that, they'll upgrade your tc which will shave a good 1/2 sec of your 1/4-which you can do seperately than the tranny build. There used to be a few other companies that did this, but havent really heard much about them lately. The demand isn't there, but thats not to say it can't be done. Level 10 used to sell the rebuild kit, but not sure if they do that anymore. Automatic trannys are far more complicated than manuals. No way would I want to tackle that. Best to do some research from automatic maufaturers. TCI used to carry TC's for honda's...they might also have rebuilds as well.

mteg

Automatic Lover
Wut about the S4XA transsmission I found a site that says its for the b18c & b20 Is that correct?

http://www.alnjdmautomotors.com/index.php/94-95-jdm-acura-ls-rs-gs-gsr-automatic-transmission-b18b-b18c-b20b.html

EDIT: just found out that the sir-g (auto gsr) and ls auto have same tranny: http://www.team-integra.net/forum/14-performance/63889-anyone-have-info-auto-sir-gs.html

The b16 auto is different gear ratios, but wut does that mean? I just wanna know if the b16 auto is strong enough for ls/vtec
B16
1st Gear 2.600
2nd Gear 1.516
3rd Gear 1.078
4th Gear 0.722
Final Drive 4.333

B18
1st 2.722
2nd 1.468
3rd .975
4th .638
final drive 4.357
I've heard of people doing the swap...but super expensive. Basically you have to buy motor with tranny, then sell motor....Sadly theres probably tons of them in Japan, even canada rotting away in some scrapyard. The gear ration won't change power capability though. Your good till about 220, then be prepared to have another one to swap in. Best bet is to add a tranny cooler, change fluid often, and upgrade your tc...if your looking to hold more power, then you gotta pony up the dough for a professional rebuild-starting aroun $3,500. 5 years ago I wanted to have the fastest autoteg with 400whp using same block, no vtech, and keeping automatic. Unfortunatly marriage, mortage, kids, etc... got in the way of it. At that point you'd be faster than a manual as shifts would be perfect, you could launch in boost, and remain in boost throughout the entire 1/4mile. I know a guy that just swapped automatic in his talon, and he easily clips off 9's and 10's in a daily driven car.

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
lol 500 dollars in washers....*sigh* I would elaborate on why a B16 trans wont work but i think its a fruitless effort in this case.

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
You can never trust anyone to rebuild a Honda auto trans. They're unique to all other trannies. It will fail within a year. Just get a used replacement and only use Honda ATF next time.

I had a TCI high stall converter and upgraded clutch packs on a D series back in the day. Honestly, the only thing it did was make the shifts noticeably harder.

If you're serious about performance, as in doing more than just building a daily driver, get a manual rolling chassis and swap your parts over. You're right that it doesn't make sense economically to to an auto to manual conversion.

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
You can never trust anyone to rebuild a Honda auto trans. They're unique to all other trannies. It will fail within a year. Just get a used replacement and only use Honda ATF next time.

I had a TCI high stall converter and upgraded clutch packs on a D series back in the day. Honestly, the only thing it did was make the shifts noticeably harder.

If you're serious about performance, as in doing more than just building a daily driver, get a manual rolling chassis and swap your parts over. You're right that it doesn't make sense economically to to an auto to manual conversion.
High stall converter and upgraded clutch packs is all you need to beef up a automatic transmission, your typical honda motor wont make enough torque to damage the harder parts within the trans. Other things you can look at are line pressure and a phantom grip LSD but beyond that, they are stout enough from the factory as is. Ive been abusing my 200,000+ miles SP7A on 7psi for many miles now, still shifts like a champ.

ju10

redline D4 is good stuff, i run royal purple max atf in mine
are those two brands better than the genuine Honda? I got the honda brand after using the autozone s*** ( forgot the brand) and my tranny seemed to shift better- I think cuz its thinner

BTW spawne I been reading your thread and I love it!

Last edited: