Beefing up Auto tranny

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
Don't use anything other than Honda ATF. If you look up Honda auto trannies, you'll see that they are a unique design to all other automatic transmissions. They don't use planetary gearsets. They more or less begin as a manual trans and the design is modified to be auto.

I agree that Honda autos hold up to boost and increased horsepower quite well. My college roommate had a couple Civic wagons. In one, he shoehorned in a B16 and auto trans (total nightmare to swap). The other was a boosted D16A6. The B16 held up just fine and about 5-6 years later he parted it out. The D16 had over 250k miles and blew the headgasket. He gave it to me and I ran it with the blown gasket for a while and then parted it out.

The long gearing of the autos will always hold back your acceleration a great deal, but as long as you don't neutral-shift drop it, overfill it, or put the wrong ATF in it, it will last as long as the engine.

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
are those two brands better than the genuine Honda? I got the honda brand after using the autozone s*** ( forgot the brand) and my tranny seemed to shift better- I think cuz its thinner

BTW spawne I been reading your thread and I love it!
Up until the new honda atf fluid was released, I would have told you yes, after 20 years they finally figured out that the major fault with the trannys was the viscosity was just too low when the fluid was hot. The new honda atf fluid that took the place of Z1 is much thicker in that respect as far as i have been told.

Which would you suggest as I'm building the motor up?
Honestly, either one should work fine, I had fantastic results with royal purple max atf in my car, the D4 is just a tad thicker but redline makes some excellent transmission fluids as well. 2 Years of 7psi abuse on my trans, and it still shifts like a champ.

DA6righthand

Registered Badass
Wut about the S4XA transsmission I found a site that says its for the b18c & b20 Is that correct?

http://www.alnjdmautomotors.com/index.php/94-95-jdm-acura-ls-rs-gs-gsr-automatic-transmission-b18b-b18c-b20b.html

EDIT: just found out that the sir-g (auto gsr) and ls auto have same tranny: http://www.team-integra.net/forum/14-performance/63889-anyone-have-info-auto-sir-gs.html

The b16 auto is different gear ratios, but wut does that mean? I just wanna know if the b16 auto is strong enough for ls/vtec
B16
1st Gear 2.600
2nd Gear 1.516
3rd Gear 1.078
4th Gear 0.722
Final Drive 4.333

B18
1st 2.722
2nd 1.468
3rd .975
4th .638
final drive 4.357
I wouldn'tbe exactly sure on those gear ratios for the b16 auto trans. I'm attempting to put and auto OBD1 b16 trans in my automatic LS and it's much more trouble than it sounds. Mechanically, it's a direct swap but electronically it's much different than what we've got. You'll need the ecu that goes with the B16 trans because the transmission control unit (tcu) in the b16 auto ecu is different than the ls tcu. As far as I know, that's the only way to do it correctly.

And I've been using AMSOIL atf for quite a while in my ls. Haven't had any problems thus far (knocks on wood).

Last edited:

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
when i had my auto 4door civic, i was going to just upgrade the tq converter.

i ended up trading it for a 4runner so i cant tell you how it turned out. ive seen an auto honda with an upgraded one and it sounded like it was paddle shifted/tiptronic. it didnt have the lag between gears and it chirped 1st to 2nd and to 3rd.

Posted from my Microwave using Tapatalk