Belts

DB8_Aaron

Over the past month ive been working on my slave cylinder, master cylinder, and hydraulic lines.. and the clutch finally was stiff so i turn the car on and one of my belts was squeaking bad. So i turned it off and than let it start again and it did the same thing, but i let it run for about 10 seconds and it started smoking. the smoke appeared to come from the belt to the alternator, the belts aren't too worn and aren't noticeably loose, how do i tighten them? and any other tips?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Two things

1.) Make sure the alternator pulley is not seized by taking the belt off it and spin the alt pulley by hand. it should spin freely. If it doesnt then your alternator bearings are shot and it needs to be replaced.

2.) To tighten the alt belt first loosen the top bolt on the alternator bracket that will allow the alternator to pivot back and forth making the belt tight or loose. Put a pry bar or large flat head screw drive between the top of the alternator and the top bracket and push the alternator back towards the firewall making the belt tight. As you hold tension on the belt tighten that top bolt on the alternator locking it in place. Tighten to about 20 ftlbs.