Bent Exhaust Valve

sportsma1539

Well heres my story... I bought a 92 integra ls about a month ago with a knocking rod. I ended up buying a 95 integra b18b1 engine for $250. I put the engine in the car and immediately did a compression test. All the cylinders checked out at about 160 except for the 1st cylinder that read 0. I pulled the engine back out assuming i had a hole in the piston or something. I came across a post last night that made me believe I may have a bent valve. So today I pulled the head and sure enough there was a bent valve on the 1st cylinder on the exhaust side. So here is what I am wondering... Can i pull the valve on my old b18a1 head and install it on my b18b1 head. I would just put the b18a1 head on but it is gunked up to hell and back. The b18b1 head looks almost brand new except of course for the bent valve. I know its recommended to probably rebuild the head but I'm just wanting to do a cheap fix. What do ya think??

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
you won't really screw anything up... only thing you really can screw up is the timing when it's going back on, but no matter what with either head you have the chance of screwing it up.

I say save yourself the 75 bucks and just replace the valve

sportsma1539

you won't really screw anything up... only thing you really can screw up is the timing when it's going back on, but no matter what with either head you have the chance of screwing it up.

I say save yourself the 75 bucks and just replace the valve
I think I'm risking a leak by trying to fix the valve. Plus, I'm sure i could get something out of these heads. I have the original head from the b18a1 that I could put on it but Its got 300,000 miles on it and I'm sure it needs some work. I'm gonna look at this head today and see if there is anything wrong with it and I'll probably buy it.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
what kind of leak? you replace the stem seal, and nothing can leak unless you do that wrong... but whatever you want to do I guess. lol

sportsma1539

I officially have 3 heads now. I bought one today from a 90-91 for $60. It was already assembled. It came with the intake manifold, throttle body, fuel rail with injectors, and the distributor. I do have a couple questions about it though. I wanna use the intake manifold, throttle body, fuel rail and injectors from my 92 integra mainly because of cosmetic issues. I shouldnt have any issues with that should I??? I know the 90-91 are obd0. Would the distributor from 90-91 work on my 92? And i pretty sure i know the answer but does the header from a 92 bolt up to this head??? I would think so. I'm also wanting to put the cams from my 95 head in on this head. Will this work??

Oh yea, I'm assuming this is a 90-91 head because it said PR4-1 on it. My 92 said PR4-2. This head will be going on a 95 ls block so any issues that I may run into i need to know. Thanks

sportsma1539

Well damn, the head that I bought off the guy has two of the cam cap bolts broken off in the head. Anyone had any luck using an easy out to get these out?? Its a really small space. Should I try to retap it??

sportsma1539

I had another long day today. I got the cams from my b18b1 head in yesterday and got the timing belt on and had the timing aligned. Today, I do a compression test with the engine out of the car. I did the test mainly to see if i had any compression on the first cylinder which is the one that had no compression before I changed the head. And once again, I had no compression on the cylinder and barely read any on the other 3cylinders.(like 20). So I start checking the timing and its good. I try putting a cap full of oil down the spark plug holes to check the rings and still no difference in compression. . So then I started thinking about the valves maybe being stuck open. I put the #1 pistion at TDC and checked the rocker arms on the intake and exhaust. One of the rocker arms had no play in it and was stiff as hell which lead me to believe that valve was stuck open at TDC. Then I go to loosen the rocker arm up and round off the rocker arm adjuster. So then I took all the cam caps off, got tension off of the cam and swapped rocker arms on one of the other cylinders and then reassembled the cam once again. The 2nd time I was able to break lose the adjuster for the rocker arm and got all the tension off of it. I tried the compression test again, and I HAD COMPRESSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy I had compression on this piston after all the work I've been through. This is the first time I've done any of this kind of work on a car so it was all completely new to me. So basically, the rocker arms were not put back in the exact spot and I was using different cams so now I have to do a complete valve lash adjustment on every rocker arm. But it doesn't matter to me now because I got compression on that first cylinder and thats all that mattered to me.