bent woodruff key

Oreoboi

Hey whats up CL. As u can see a bent woodruff key. I removed the Crank Pulley to find of not on is it chipped but the end of the crankshaft has been grinded on one side aswell. Just had a question

thnx for any input

1. Rebuild engine or just find a swap??

Oreoboi

i cant the slot where it fits in on the the crank have been grinded down, the pulley is chipped aswell

Muckman

Not a M0derator
How did it get ground down?? By what? Post a picture.

simplels

if your crank pulley is not torque'd to spec it may become loose and cause this issue.

a cheap fix would be to align the crank pulley with the key and spot weld the crank pulley onto the car.. then sell the car for cheap.. :x

or swap out the engine or rebuild and put in a new crankshaft.. depends on what you want to do and what your goals are..

jbrown97ls

I thought I was going to need a new crank when I noticed my crank pulley had came loose. My woodruff key chipped and the outer corner on the crank slot was rounded a bit. I thought for certain that it was done for but I had another pulley and woodruff key so I checked the fitment and looked for any play before I flipped out. I would recommend you try a new pulley and key before you make any rash decisions. I've checked my pulley and key for chips and play numerous times since and it's fine. Use a shit ton of loctite.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Might be possible to tack weld a new key onto the crank nose. The crank pulley bolt needs to be torqued to 130ft-lbs.