Best Gas for GS-R?

DjZGFX

Another quick question. What gas station do you get your gas from and what station do you think is the best?

I get 93 Amoco Ultimate with Invigorate from BP.

Skidmarks

Cascade Honda Crew
Everybody will tell you something different. Just don't put arco gas in your car. Shit is cheap and that's because it will gunk up your injectors over time. Whatever you get, just be sure to run premium. The Gs-r is made to burn it and nothing under 93 octane level.

The Kev

Vtec? I have V-TAK! Son..
Best Gas for GSR,..... PREMIUM. It says so on the gas tank and gas gauge and owner's manual. The stations I would go to are SHELL, CHEVRON, but my Fave is 76.

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
Always run premium when the manufacturer states so.

More octane = more control = more consistency = more refined = more reliable and the list goes on.

Needless to say this does not mean you can't run the lowest octane.

Depending on the type of motor and how aggressive it is from the factory your car can bog down or constantly have to readjust timing and fuel in excess to run smooth

This is why your mpgs avg per tank is higher with premium. The burn is consistent.

There are tales of lower octane giving you more horsepower because how it burns so rapidly, at the cost of inconsistency and therefore in a high performance motor the chances of detonation is not worth minimal if any gain at all in horsepower.

My favorite gas station would be costco, Fred Meyers or shell.

Avoid Safeway, 7-11 etc if you can. Their gas is cheap and full of ethanol.

If at all possible pump at your local farmers gas station where they provide the option of zero ethanol in your gas.

Your engine will love you for it.

zack11122

Don't buy premium. There is a variance in the octane level. Buy the low grade and put octane boost in it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

not anther cody

I personally buy gas at Quiktrip, but I work at Quiktrip so it wouldn't make any sense to buy gas somewhere else.
If you can find ethanol free fuel, get that. It is worth the extra money

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
What does ethanol do to the motor?
It's bad for your engine, and it's placed to reduce emissions.

It also decreases your fuel mileage.

Usually the blend is 10% ethanol and 90% gasoline.

Some cheaper gas stations like 7-11 and the sorts increase the amount of ethanol to make more $$ per gallon.

This is why they sell gas prices at lower prices because essentially your getting less gasoline per gallon.

Over time all carbs and fuel injection systems deteriorate because of ethanol. This is true from the gas tank to the injectors, and everything in between will need servicing. Now in a perfect world if cars didn't put out so much emission like subarus pzev.

There would be no need for ethanol and we would all have better mpg and less fuel system problems overtime.

Needless to say gasoline with no ethanol doesn't mean your car will never breakdown.

Gasoline can slowly work it's way through the lining in your gas tank and cause severe damage.

Having ethanol just increases the problem.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
It's bad for your engine, and it's placed to reduce emissions.

It also decreases your fuel mileage.
Its not bad for your engine lol. All modern cars from like 1984 and up are Ethanol rated. But you are correct it does reduce emissions and it does decrease mpg.

Over time all carbs and fuel injection systems deteriorate because of ethanol. This is true from the gas tank to the injectors, and everything in between will need servicing.
CARBS? CARBS?! Maybe its time to update your knowledge base. ALL modern fuel injection systems are ethanol rated. Maybe and older G1 Integra might have problems with Ethanol but not your newer cars. You are blowing it way out of proportion.

Skidmarks

Cascade Honda Crew
Yeah I've heard "ethanol rated" before when it comes to like car commercials...for like the last ten years lol. So basically it just decreases mpg? Good luck finding a gas station that sells ethanol free. Every one I've been to has a sticker on the tank "contains 10% ethanol". Including shell, chevron, 76 etc...

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Shell is the best stuff around where I am, but I'll get wherever's cheapest, except the no-name stations with the no-name gas, I never touch that stuff. I only buy the brand name gas, and only 93 octane.

Ethanol has turned out to not be the cure it was advertised to be, it takes more money and creates more pollution to manufacture Ethanol, than it actually saves over just burning 100% normal gasoline, but the whole situation has become Political so we're stuck with it for the immediate future.

Murphy

Meat Master
Costco and Shell are the only places I get gas. The Shell debit card gives me 3 cents off a gallon and the transaction takes a few more days to charge your account compared with a real debit card. If a shell isn't available on the highway I'll settle for a Chevron or Texaco.

I don't own a GSR, however premium is "required" for all trim levels, but I've filled it up only with 87 octane for 6 years with no qualms whatsoever. Occasionally I mixed in Octane from the dollar store several years back.

As for modern ethanol mixed gas being harmful give me a break, unless if you leave old gas in your car for several months. That ~10% ethanol is giving you more horsepower, isn't it all that matters in this world?

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Premium gas is only recommended for the GSR. It says this right in the owners manual, last page. GSR's can run on lower octane gas, the ECU will simply adjust ignition timing for it, and you lose a little power, but to get the most out of it you need Premium.