best head for a b18a1?

spadedintegra85

So I'm thinking about changing the head on my da. Which would be the best head(ha ha) for it? Also any real benefit to reat strut tower braces? I'm doing a rear seat delete this week and am gonna add a bar and clean her up. Anyone use rubberized undercoat inside? I'm gonna spray that to deaden the noise then laint over that for color. Any ideas?

Canadian144

I'd say keep the head stock unless you're planning to do a full LS/VTEC build. Don't just toss a B16 or GSR head on your stock B18a block and expect it to be able to rev to 8k all day long... it will blow.

Here's some reading:
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1676914

I was planning to do an LS/VTEC build on my 94 RS with a B16 head. Ended up finding a B18C1 w/trans for $600 though. Made more sense considering I'd be spending $300 or so on the head, $200 or so on the LS/Vtec conversion kit, and then would have to spend a couple more on a good GSR trans.

dlo253

A built and ported out stocker... unless u wanna do lsv, which is more than just putting a head on... as stated above.

spadedintegra85

I'm new to the import scene lol. Excuse my lack of import knowledge ha ha ha. So would it be smarter to just stick with the b18 and just add bolt ons(headers, turbo) and tuning? Its my daily driver. Not looking for a track car but something I can be proud of. I'm doing most of this myself.

Canadian144

All depends on your budget and how much power you really want.
+1!!!!

I'm new to the import scene lol. Excuse my lack of import knowledge ha ha ha. So would it be smarter to just stick with the b18 and just add bolt ons(headers, turbo) and tuning? Its my daily driver. Not looking for a track car but something I can be proud of. I'm doing most of this myself.
Turbo will end up being more than just a cheap bolt on if you do it right. B18a won't see very big gains from header/intake alone. But that is a good starting point... header/cold air intake/exhaust. If you are still wanting more power but don't want to do an engine build... buy a B18C1 or B16 swap and drop that in. Intake/header/exhaust will still match up from the B18a.

Or if you're looking for more of a project... buy a B18a/b18b block (or whole engine since they are so cheap) and follow the link I posted above, and do a *proper* LS/VTEC setup. Will involve taking the whole engine apart, sending stuff off to a machine shop..... at the end of the day it will cost more than just a B18C1/B16 if you do it properly.

Zombiegurl81

HFF Beginner
Also any real benefit to reat strut tower braces? I'm doing a rear seat delete this week and am gonna add a bar and clean her up.
A bar here and there will do little to nothing depending on what you purchase, but if you add them all the front, rear, c-pillar, and lower control arm bar then you will definitely notice a change in the car. I know I did. This is just my input though.