Best Suspension for bumps?

01TegLuv

Hey what sup what you think is the best suspension for driving through bumps and potholes? something comfortable yet firm. some opinions, creating a discussion, sometimes i like to learn new things through debate..

coilovers vs spring and strut combo ..

[F] LV-DC2

Driveit likeyou stoleit!
Springs and Struts.

I live in Vegas the streets here are horrible. I have a DC2 lowered (not dropped) 1.5 all the way around on Tokico Illumina springs and strut/ dampner combo. Its 6way adjustable dampness I run on dampness level3 and its a smooth ride i can still attack corners a high speeds. hope this helps.

Teggy64

Got vtec?
Koni yellow shocks and ground control springs. Pretty good for daily driving, but if you want something that's comfy than stay stock haha.

pluckt007

Fat guy in a little coat.
Whatever qft means, but yeah... stock springs and some tokciko blues, or koni yellows, youll be good

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
For the record, I wasn't being a smartass or anything. IMO, once you go aftermarket (unless you go with air suspension), comfortability goes out the window. When you lower on springs or coilovers, you'll start feeling every single bump on the road. I don't care if you have the best shocks and springs in the world. Nothing can beat OEM suspension when it comes to driving comfort.

JustinMcGee1

I like Hondas
For the record, I wasn't being a smartass or anything. IMO, once you go aftermarket (unless you go with air suspension), comfortability goes out the window. When you lower on springs or coilovers, you'll start feeling every single bump on the road. I don't care if you have the best shocks and springs in the world. Nothing can beat OEM suspension when it comes to driving comfort.
You said that perfectly

Sent from your mom's pole using Taptalk2

slowtec

Internet Tough Guy
...Nothing can beat OEM suspension when it comes to driving comfort.
That is what has haunted me for years regarding suspension setups. For one thing, the Integra is my commuter car. Period. I don't drive it except to and from work. I work all over the state and my average commute is easily an hour and a half one way, up to 5 hours one way. When I selected the Integra for a commuter it was because I honestly liked these cars and because I thought it would be fun as hell to mess around with it.

But due to its commuter status, I don't know how much I would enjoy sacrificing ride comfort due to some of those long commutes. Visually, I would really like the car to be at least 2 inches lower than it currently is.

But I drive on bad roads, back roads, construction sites, gravel roads, dirt roads, no roads. Obviously, the roads are usually decent, so it isn't such an issue I would be unwilling. But when people throw out suggestions like Koni/GC, while I understand because it is the best quality for the money and in some cases better than even more expensive options you can do, I cannot justify the $650-$800 for a Koni/GC setup. And I never will on my commuter car.

dlo253

Get some progressive lowering springs maybe?? Most of them have relatively lower rates than other setups.

NJMenace

i never had coilovers yet, but i dropped my civic 2.5" using springs and factory shocks. you couldnt tell a difference for the most part in the ride quality until you hit a big bump, there just wasnt as much give but it still wasnt a rough ride. so id recommend just going with lowering springs and some good shocks.

NJMenace

i never had coilovers yet, but i dropped my civic 2.5" using springs and factory shocks. you couldnt tell a difference for the most part in the ride quality until you hit a big bump, there just wasnt as much give but it still wasnt a rough ride. so id recommend just going with lowering springs and some good shocks.
also, i had this set up in my car for around 3 years with no problems, the shocks started to get a little spongy towards the end (i sold the car) but thats to be expected with any set up over time

01TegLuv

man, i didnt realize this was still going on and that i didnt post what i actually ended up with.

Slowtec, I understand what you're saying completely. You're pretty much similar to my situation. Long commutes and nasty roads. Sounds like NYC to me.

If you want comfort above anything and the ability to take potholes and bumps well, or just to the best of the car's ability. DONT LOWER YOUR CAR.

if you want your shock absorber to absorb the shock really well, you want it to have as much travel as possible. meaning leave your car at stock ride height so it has enough travel to absorb all the bumps as much as possible.

Also dont go with expensive sport shocks that are for a lower ride and stiffer handling through corners. unless your racing on a circuit on your way to work, thats not what you want.

I ended up going with brand new KYB shocks that are pretty much OEM replacements and same quality if not better to factory shocks. and new Honda springs. I left the car at stock ride height. and with the new suspension. Feels like driving on air...

and it absorbs bumps the best compared to any of these shock/spring/combo setups..

Granted, theres only so much it can do. this is a naturally more or less low car. with small wheels. and a comfortable yet somewhat firm suspension.

If you want comfort, and offroad utility above anything, and ability to take any nasty road thrown at you. you need to go with a car that is higher and with bigger tires like an SUV which is what theyre made for. and which is what im thinking of going with for nyc rough roads.

if you want to stick with this car. which i dont blame you, its a beautiful body, great fuel economy, comfortable interior and all... then STAY AT STOCK RIDE HEIGHT.

and get my setup, its the most comfortable you can get.

KYB STRUTS

HONDA SPRINGS

hope this helps :)

Last edited: