BEWARE!!! - Skunk2 Bushings Very Brittle - DANGEROUS!!! (Pics + Video)

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
first off... i am not bias'd in any way towards skunk2. i tell you how it is. good or bad. i've owned many skunk2 products before with limited to no problems before since 2000. skunk2 camber kits, suspension, manifold and cams. no prob. until today.

was swapping out my wheels and noticed... why is the rear wheels wobbling... its sitting on the ground. WTF?!?!? noticed the other side started shaking.... oh hell nah... WTF. and note. i rarely drive my car. i dont race / track. and the car isn't slammed. to my findings... s*** just got serious. very dangerous... just about all the bushings are gone or about to be. very disappointed with skunk2 on this. im going to contact them and see what they are going to say.

i mean at this point with all their re-designs... do i need to keep checking their site for defects. geez. anyhow onto the pics.

passenger rear:

driver rear:

oh wait... did 1/4 bushing survive? barely a crack developing.

VIDEO - btw, sorry for the heavy breathing... congestion and stuff nose suck balls.

After some searching they do sell replacements. And seeing other folks pictures... it aint too pretty. Seems like they try to cover it up, at least warn the consumer or do a recall. This could have been a more serious problem which could have lead to an accident or something worse. Epecially since i just put my MF10s on. We the consumers shouldnt be the ones R&D this stuff... wtf is your "race team" for then? and my car is soft daily / garage queen. i'm very disappointed with skunk2 and their quality. even with all that beef with their bounty hunt... i set that aside cause i'm loyal consumer but damn. this co. is going downhill... and fast, IMO

a link to their "better bushing" article. notice they dont say why. the rear camber kits have been in production before this (LCA and Rear UCA use the same bushings)
http://cms.skunk2.com/id/468/A-Better-LCA-Bushing/

very good thing i went with Function7 LCAs (lifetime warranty)... and not skunk2. would have probably been the same disaster. Only thing left on the car that is Skunk2 is:
- Pro C Coilovers
- Front Camber Kit
- Rear Cabmer Kit

first off, i wasn't being a dick when i emailed them. took them awhile for a response, which i expected. they tried to sell me the replacement, that was expected. they didn't answer the question of why it failed... ok so i tried again... no response eh? i let a week fly by... still no response. the second i send a somewhat unhappy email. i get an immediate response... but yet no clear answer to why your bushing failed. CAUSE YOU KNOW WHAT... SKUNK2 EMOPLYEES DONT KNOW JACK ABOUT THEIR OWN PRODUCTS. I ALSO HAVE EMAILS OF ME POINTTING OUT THEIR ALPHA SERIES TB DOESNT WORK ON GSRS... I HAD TO CORRECT THEM.

with the bounty non-sense, i tried to push it aside but those guys were right. skunk2 is a joke.

ME said:
Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 1:54 PM

Wanted to ask if you guys offer any warranty on the Rear Camber Kit? Appears the bushings were literally broke into pieces on both sides, some with no bushing at all. i have included pictures and curious if you had any input on this? i also have a video. this could have lead to something very serious and dangerous.
Skunk2 said:
Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 2:56 PM

If you have the original receipt and the purchase was made ‘new’ within the last 12 months. We should be able to assist with a warranty claim.

However, if the terms are beyond that – we do offer replacement bushings were are $3 per side + tax/shipping/etc.

Regards,
ME said:
Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 9:39 AM

unfortunately this was purchased in late 2008 @ jhpusa, i have the invoice. could you explain what caused the bushing to fail? your site says " Skunk2’s polyurethane bushings won’t tear or break free. ". I'm just trying to understand what caused it so it doesn't happen again. I'm not too confident on this skunk2 product if it were to fail again.
ME said:
Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Hello can i get a response? If you cant explain to me why your product failed, then why should i continue to use sknuk2 prodcuts? I've been buying products from you guys since you were called skunkworks, and if this is how you respond to your consumers, then i choose not to support skunk2 products no longer.
look at the immediate response... and he's still trying to sell me the bushing.

Skunk2 said:
Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I do apologize for the late response. We’ve been playing a bit of catch up since the holidays as we went through them a man short and it appears your 2nd email was over-looked.

I cannot begin to speculate as to why the product failed over the amount of time that you had them on the vehicle. With anything, especially suspension components, there are a number of variables that would hinder & alter the life expectancy of any of the components used.

We certainly appreciate your continued business over the years and we are here to help should any issues arise. We honor the full warranty over a 12-month period covering any manufacturing defects and have constantly reviewed our current products over the years and make any progressive changes and alterations through the line to further benefit the customer along with keeping the costs at an ‘affordable’ rate.

We do have the replacement bushings readily available for shipment at $3 (that covers two halves that make up one complete bushing) + shipping and I can certainly assist you in getting those ASAP if you would like.

Again – I apologize for the delays in getting a response out to you and I am working on getting the response time down significantly for any and all inquiries that come through.

If you have any further questions, comments or concerns. Please let me know personally and I’ll do my best to assist you.
i know i'm sorta digging up a dead horse, but its funny how they have a article that says they introduced a new better bushing that replaces their old ones that failed but wont explain why. hmmmm. btw did i forget to mention they are on back order from skunk2? geez i wonder why....

anyhow, onto the review. so here are the changes they made and failed to mention to the consumers... whats new? we're the idiots that buy it... and do more R&D then their "race" team does. f***ing a. but like i said, i tell you how it is. dont like it? click the back button.

there are less slots inside the bushing from the old vs new. old one had 8 slots while the new one has 5? why less? i dont know... nor does skunk2. they probably stole the design somewhere.

the edges are rounded off now instead of a 90 degree cut.

The steel quality of the camber kit seems to be very strong. even tho i drove around with almost no bushing. there is minimal damage to the arm itself. if anything light scratches. but the question is... do i want to continue to use a product that has no R&D? and lately has moved onto more cosmetics than performance for the past 10 years? a company that constantly has updates to their products? how many versions of crap do you guys gotta make? i should have went with tein suspension... and hardrace for camber. companies that provide good warranty and actually designs and tests their own products. I'm not going to lie... these skunk2 parts wont be going removed anytime soon, i've already invested too much time and money.

seems like skunk2 is more about
PROFIT > Enthusiast

Last edited:

afroman18

"Gap Sissy"
Damn!!! Well I was going to purchase their coilovers with tax money but now i'm rethinking it. Your lucky nothing happened.

dlo253

Was already cautious about spending money with skunk2 due to what seems to be declining quality the past couple years. That gave me the final wtf lol, looks like they won't ever see any of my money. That shit ain't cool.

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
we already know what gbaby is gonna say, but unless he had these broken on him before it doesn't mean much. but he's right about junk2.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
how old are your camber kits? i have no issues with my skunk2 ball joints

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
pretty long time, let me dig into my build, i remember posting it.

however since then i put on at most maybe 5k miles on my car.

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
yea i thought it about. but i live in so cal, closest thing would be driving in the actual beach water. car hasn't been driven a lot. at all, lol

covert_Con

Senior Ricer
Well yeah, have to hear it from him! Lol

I've always heard mixed opinions about junk2, and I've never owned anything from them so I don't have a legit opinion. But i'll say I know plenty of people who have, and they always seem fussy about their quality. So idk

superhypered

(╯°□°)╯ ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
I think I remember seeing someone sprayed their polyurethane mounts because they were squeaky or weren't fitting or something, then they dried out and cracked.

You think you're seeing the same thing?

I almost thought this thread was a rehash of their little bounty controversy a few months back. Wasn't disappointed.

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
I think I remember seeing someone sprayed their polyurethane mounts because they were squeaky or weren't fitting or something, then they dried out and cracked.

You think you're seeing the same thing?

I almost thought this thread was a rehash of their little bounty controversy a few months back. Wasn't disappointed.
yea you're not supposed to spray WD-40 on it, it'll cause it to dry up and crack.

if anything you're supposed to use the white urethane grease. not sure if i used the grease, doubt since it didnt make any sqeeky noises like the front.