Blown Headgasket, Suggestions?

Andrew93

Currently Building
yea so i blew my headgasket, it still runs currently but bad. ive replaced my radiator and wired up the radiator fans that werent previously running. Im looking for some suggestions i called a shop and he said i may want to get a new block incase it did any damage which i dont think it did but it is a possibility. Right now i have a 90 Ls the engine has about 38k or less miles on it. any thoughts

3Axis

mothaf*cka...
I agree. Study shows that having your head gasket replaced will undoubtedly increase engine power and efficiency, as well and prevent any potential leaks of oil or coolant. :p

Prozon

Kris
The shop is probably just saying that to get more money out of it. I did a write up of how to change the head gasket in the How To Section. It's in the DIY sticky at the top.

$1000 for a head gasket change in a shop.
Under $200 for you to do it yourself.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
The shop is probably just saying that to get more money out of it. I did a write up of how to change the head gasket in the How To Section. It's in the DIY sticky at the top.

$1000 for a head gasket change in a shop.
Under $200 for you to do it yourself.
$1,000 to have a head gasket changed?! That's stupid expensive!

The Panch

The Homie
$1,000 to have a head gasket changed?! That's stupid expensive!
bcuz they willo make thigns up

"Well uhh...your head was cracked...so we sent it to get resurfaced"

"well....your head was warpped...so we had to buy another"

stuff like that

Prozon

Kris
Just another reason I do everything myself. Chances are they'll say the block is cracked too lol.

rnoswal

You will have to pull the head, there is now way around that. If you can do it, take it to any machine shop and have them check to see if it is warped. Then ask how much to machine it, get it done...buy a new head gasket and wouldn't hurt to buy new head bolts. put it back together and it should be as good as before...better even.

Let us know how it goes.

Russ

Andrew93

Currently Building
i know how to change the haed gasket and get it resurfaced, unfortunatly ive already had to do it before, i was just asking if anyone thought it would take more then just fixing the headgasket

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
It should be $300 dollar job at a good perfomance shop(performance shops dont rip you off)