Blox type b tuned series cams

zack11122

I've looked at some reviews of these cams. People say their junk and some say their good. So I want your opinion or recamendations. My plan is to do the following

190 walbro fuel pump
B16 vtec head
Supertech springs retainers flat valves
Eagle rods
Rs machines dome piston
Edit:
Might use supertech pistons with 11.6:1 compression

Is their anything else I would need for this build? Or any other brands you would use instead of what I listed? I'm aiming to stay on pump gas with 200-230 hp.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

96LSteg

Jemel
I can tell you that for your piston selection, if you get P30 (JDM b16A) pistons, they will net you a higher static compression 12.2:1 and they are alot cheaper than the Supertechs and you should still be able to run pump fuel at that compression. I believe RS Machine makes P30s

***Edit***

and if you use the RS Machines you can use your stock rods. That will save you another 400~500 because your stock rods are good enough for an N/A build. I would get APR rod bolts and maybe even shot peen the rods and you should be straight.

Last edited:

zack11122

Muckman said to just go eagle rods as they come with arp studs. It would cost the same to have the new studs put in stock rods.

96LSteg

Jemel
in that case you wouldnt be able to use the RS Machine pistons becasue eagle rods have floating wrist pins and RS Machines are press fit wrist pins (thats why they fit stock rods). So you have no choice but to use a fordged aftermarket piston with that rod. Sorry I couldnt give you no info on the cams. I can tell you that most people are either going to say one of two things with vtec cams 1) go with skunk 2 tuner series or 2) get you some stock ITR/CTR cams and go with those....

Nick_C78

RS Machine only makes USDM style pistons. P30 is a JDM style. I am running RS Machine 82mm PR3 pistons with GSR rods and they work well. I would recommend only going 81.5mm though so you can bore the block again in the future if you need to. Jemel is right though, you do not need to upgrade your rods for an all motor build. GSR/ITR rods are pretty damn strong. What block and crank will you be using?

Nick_C78

Muckman said to just go eagle rods as they come with arp studs. It would cost the same to have the new studs put in stock rods.

If you have an LS crank and LS rods, then yes. I would get the eagle rods for that very reason.

96LSteg

Jemel
ahhh! i didnt know that they only make usdm pistons. Thanks Nick for clarifying that!

Nick_C78

in that case you wouldnt be able to use the RS Machine pistons becasue eagle rods have floating wrist pins and RS Machines are press fit wrist pins (thats why they fit stock rods). So you have no choice but to use a fordged aftermarket piston with that rod. Sorry I couldnt give you no info on the cams. I can tell you that most people are either going to say one of two things with vtec cams 1) go with skunk 2 tuner series or 2) get you some stock ITR/CTR cams and go with those....
Haha I was just typing this out... My posts are all delayed. You guys are too fast.

Toda B are still a good cam, but a little out dated. My favorite cam is still the Jun 3 though and people call it old and out dated as well. People also hate on the toda cam mostly because of its cost. It doesn't "perform" as well as its price tag makes you think it should, but that is only because of skunk2 and their cost effective cams.

96LSteg

Jemel
Nick I learned this all from you lol and I dont have nothing else to do at work so im trolling on here lol

zack11122

I'm using a b20 bottom. Would these rods be good to do a high compression? Or should I just go with a b16 vtec and do pistons and valve train work?

zack11122

So where I stand now. Run the b20 and buy a b16 motor? Anything recemended

Nick_C78

Keep the b20 bottom, but upgrade the rods just like Muckman told you. B20 and LS rods are very weak, as are their bolts.

You will not be able to use any OEM or OEM style pistons though, because after market rods do not support OEM style pistons.

zack11122

Would other Oem style rods work on this crank so I can keep as close to oem as possible? Like Gsr rods.