Body Work

Robcat

Hey I'm going to be slowly making the body on my 98 ls teg flawless so I can paint it, and I need to know,
What year front fenders what fit a 98?
What should I do about little door dings(size of a coin), and the bigger ones(size of a baseball?
i have horrible quarter panel rust on one side of my car and i think I'm cutting a quarter panel off another teg and welding it on, is that my best option?
Thanks!

Dfrederick2nd

Just Playing The Game
ive used the suction cup dent removers before but on smaller dings only they work takes time and patience but they eventually pop out and if the rust is all the way thru most body shops will weld new metal in

j13

Keep It Clean
if your body is pretty banged up, than just use filler on the door dings, tap out the bigger dents to get then close enough to a level surface, than use filler.

j13

Keep It Clean
PDR is only used when a vehicle has a flewless body, with one or two door dings.

Robcat

would my best option for a filler be bondo? and on little rust spots should i just sand it deep and bondo over?

Blk_DC

Hey I'm going to be slowly making the body on my 98 ls teg flawless so I can paint it, and I need to know,
What year front fenders what fit a 98?
What should I do about little door dings(size of a coin), and the bigger ones(size of a baseball?
i have horrible quarter panel rust on one side of my car and i think I'm cutting a quarter panel off another teg and welding it on, is that my best option?
Thanks!
i believe all fenders are the same from 94-01..

for dings/dents.. if you have access to both sides it would be best to bring the dent/ding as close to it normal state as before(if not perfect) with guide coating &using hammer/slapstick/dollie set.. if you have access to a heat shrink tool you wouldn't even need to use filler.. but if you were to use fill anything will do..

rust.. best thing is to grind down whole area front and back and cut out the rust the is going through.. then weld in a new piece.

Look at youtube/google for bodywork/metal work/pdr/dent removal/hammer dollie... theres a lot of diy articles and videos to help you out. Im currently in this situation lol! Goodluck!

G3GirL

UUUHHHH-OOOOHHHHHHH...!!!
would my best option for a filler be bondo? and on little rust spots should i just sand it deep and bondo over?
Bondo sucks, is 9/10 times used improperly, and the quality isn't the best out there. Evercoat Rage Gold is a better quality plastic filler. Depending on how bad your rust it, filler alone might not work. You absolutely won't want to slop it on to cover up bad spots and call it a "repair" like a lot of people do.

Blk_DC gave you some good advice. You'll definitely want to work the dents out as close to perfect as possible with a hammer and dolly set. The location and type of dent will matter when considering what method you need to use to fix them also.

It's always a good idea to research and read up on bodywork before jumping head in. There is a lot to know.

j13

Keep It Clean
bondo is perfectly fine used thin and mixed well. just needs a good prepped area.

bondo has a bad Rep because people use if for 3" deep dents. just do research and take your time. A rushed job is a phucked job

1qikteg

bondo is perfectly fine used thin and mixed well. just needs a good prepped area.

bondo has a bad Rep because people use if for 3" deep dents. just do research and take your time. A rushed job is a phucked job
x2 im doing the body work on my car right now. big dents your going to need a puller and a packing hammer. then use the filler to make it as level as possible. use a sanding block so it stays flat and level. Just be patient if you rush it...it will come out looking like shit.