Boiling Coolant. Help!!!

92_JDM

Whats up CI, Is boiling coolant normal? The video below will give you a little more idea of what im talking about. Also, when i rev the motor the coolant seems to rise which is normal and then it flows into the reservoir but it doesn't flow back when the engine cools down. What seems to be the problem there?

Its really frustrating me because I would have to pour the coolant in the reservoir back into the radiator after a day or two. If I don't then the coolant would burst out from the top of the reservoir cap. Is it normal for the plug at the top of the reservoir cap of the tank to slightly wiggle?

How long does it take for the fan to kick in because I left the engine on for a good 20 min and it never came on. Might end up wiring a switch to the fan but would like a few opinion first.

I'm currently running a Mishimoto radiator with a new 19lb cap and recently replaced the thermostat that I bought from the dealer. Right now, it has a b20b from HMO with about 85k miles, there is no smoke or leak except from the cap of the reservoir tank when it is to full.

So if possible, I would like all the possibilities that would resolve my issues. Thanks

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Thats not boiling in the video. Thats simply the movement of the water pump pulsing with the engine rotation.

Nick_C78

Bleed the system better.

However, filling up your resevoir is usually head gasket related as mentioned. Leak down/ compression test will help confirm this.

92_JDM

Bleed the system better.

However, filling up your resevoir is usually head gasket related as mentioned. Leak down/ compression test will help confirm this.
How would a compression test confirm that the headgasket is bad or good? if it holds air?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
if a cylinder isnt holdiing compression it could be a sign of a bad gasket

Muckman

Not a M0derator
A compression test may indicate the head gasket is leaking compression into the coolant system or visa versa.
A leak down test is better because you can pressurize the cylinder for a longer duration and actually see bubbles come out of the rad filler cap if there is a leak.
Sometimes you can see coolant leaking into the cylinder when the engine is off, simply shine a flash light down the spark plug tube.

Its best to do both tests when the engine is full operating temp.

92_JDM

A compression test may indicate the head gasket is leaking compression into the coolant system or visa versa.
A leak down test is better because you can pressurize the cylinder for a longer duration and actually see bubbles come out of the rad filler cap if there is a leak.
Sometimes you can see coolant leaking into the cylinder when the engine is off, simply shine a flash light down the spark plug tube.

Its best to do both tests when the engine is full operating temp.
Thank you and all of you guys, the explanation is great and easy to perform. I will be looking into it when I have time. Thank you again.