boost or all motor?

xZachTheRipper8

whats going on guys? ive talked to a few people on here already about building a car for road racing/autox/ time attack. i plan to do my suspension and brakes first to get it set up and then get some seat time out on the track, but when i finally do decide to build up my engine for more power i dont really know what i should do. ive read that for road race its more prefered to go na and just build the motor for high compression but i was curious about boosting it? I really wouldnt mind an all motor build but i cant get over the idea of boost lol but i figured i would ask around and see what other people thought and maybe get ideas or opinions and see what other people have set up,

ju10

Haven't had the moola for either yet but I second that^^

I would do all motor first then if you want more power boost.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
If the goal is really a track/time attack then you want something very responsive. Putting a small turbo on a high compression motor is very efficient.

xZachTheRipper8

i thought about the small turbo on built motor but ive always heard its bad to run high compression on a boosted motor, but i found a kit on cxracing.com, its a t3/t4 set up with everything you need to boost your motor and its goood for up to 300- 350hp, but of course itll need upgraded fuel system and a good tune

Swerve

Shawn
I don't know much about either but from what I do know s small turbo on a LS wont require upgraded internals and is more efficient and will gain more power.

drevans_satx

Dylan
i thought about the small turbo on built motor but ive always heard its bad to run high compression on a boosted motor, but i found a kit on cxracing.com, its a t3/t4 set up with everything you need to boost your motor and its goood for up to 300- 350hp, but of course itll need upgraded fuel system and a good tune
*cough* Integra GSR 13.5:1 GT30R 597hp build

Btw that build is done by muckman. Yes the title is right, 13.5:1 CR.
To put it down to absolute no frills basics: High CR=lower boost to get a goal, more efficient, better throttle respeonse, able to use a smaller turbo to reach a goal hence spooling earlier. Needs perfect tuning.
Low CR= High boost, larger turbo ability, relies entirely on the turbo for any power.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
NA for road racing

Look at FF battle cars. All pretty much ITR stock.
Larry Luster runs a 2:02.xxx in his Integra type R stock. Loi Hua from Loi Spec Garage runs i think a 2:06.xxx in a stock itr all times at buttonwillow. Seat time > motor.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Thanks drevans. You can only go so far with all motor but when done right you can get NA like response and powerband with turbo.

jbrown - it doesn't feel like a beast bc there is never a huge torque surge you normally get with typical big turbo setups. The low end torque is high from the all motor aspects but peak torque/midrange really isnt that high bc of the low boost pressure. The hard part is to carry that torque plateau all the way to redline and thats how you make alot of HP. Coincidentally the smooth power curve is very traction friendly too.

jbrown97ls

I figured there wasn't a big torque surge. I just imagine the throttle response being amazing and really fun to drive. Its such a well thought out build.

xZachTheRipper8

i stand corrected ahha thanks for showing me that, it makes sense though, i finally got my teg back on the road today! after over a damn week of waiting impatiently my mounts came in and i got them put on in like 30 minutes aha and my car was finally able to come home:) but thanks for the advice guys, i kinda want to build a b20 if i do decide to swap my motor, my buddy has an ek hatch with a b20 and his is just amazing hah so i think a small turbo on a strong b20 would be pretty good

drevans_satx

Dylan
I'm absolutely in love with Muckman's build. That and the fact that he runs such a high CR and turbo...my brain exploded the first time I read through that build thread, and yes I read through it multiple times.

I can't even imagine driving that car. Oh man it would be awesome.