boost or b18c5 swap?

anthoe

I bought a 1990 Db1 it was auto but they converted it to manual, i know its a GS so it has a b18a1 right now.
I was wondering if it would be better to rebuild the b18a1 and go boost or just swap in a b18c5? I'm looking for a fun reliable street car. eventually i will throw in more money to fix the exterior and interior.

2kdb7

Did you get your transmission issues worked out? I would say work on reliability then worry about performance.

2kdb7

I'm going off your first topic saying that your axles were bent and you transmission was pulling away. If you got that fixed what are your goals and budget?

anthoe

oh yeah i got that fixed. i just want clean dd, and something fun to drive around. i make about i got about 3,500 saved up and trying to get to atleast 6 by next month. thats why i was wondering if a gsr turbo setup would be better than just swapping in a b18c5 w/ bolt ons

Ganyon

Just put silly string in the mufler. Instant power.

anyways, just keep saving, buy legit type r, done.

/thread

2kdb7

Get a master bushing kit and suspension that would be the best thing you can do for a dd. The ls is a good motor. Take care of it and it'll last 300k easy. What transmission do you have. If its a ls get a b16 tranny. That's what I had on my da. Fun on the back roads and dd to work. Pretty sure you will have money left over.

anthoe

oh and i live in cali, and i just read that a b18c5 is illegal. maybe i'll just go for looks and nice ride quality and save money for a faster car. haha

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
a b18c5 is not illegal in Cali, you have to go and get it BAR'd, but it is a commonly swapped motor along with the B20B