boosted LS, 7 psi ok?

badshadowej

cameron
i have a 99 ls i'm thinking about boosting it i hear stock ls's can take boost really well i only plan on boosting it on aobbut 7 pounds max on boost and not racing it should the stock motor be fine?>

mjones73

It's not about how much boost, it's about how much power you're making. There's a few threads in the Forced Induction forum, specially the stickies at the top, worth reading...

Stopsign32v

What is the point in boosting it and not racing it?

The amount of boost you run doesn't have much to do at all with if it last or not. Tune, gas, and basically how well you take care of it have more to do with it.

You should make sure the motor is in great running condition first, make sure all the rest of the parts on the car are ready for the added power (such as clutch, brake pads, transmission, etc...), and lastly you should really just start reading and learning. No need to post a thread like this, it is done atleast once every 2 weeks I'd say.

heykosal

Angkorian
i have a 99 ls i'm thinking about boosting it i hear stock ls's can take boost really well i only plan on boosting it on aobbut 7 pounds max on boost and not racing it should the stock motor be fine?>
Do some researching. You'll find answers to 99% of the questions that you have. As for your stock engine, as long as it is in good running condition it will be fine.
Perform a compression check and leak-down test to start to determine the health of your engine.
What is the point in boosting it and not racing it?
What exactly do you mean? I had boosted my GSR with no intentions of racing. I mean I've been to the road course and quarter mile track, but I turbocharged my car because I wanted to have the power, and because boost makes girls panties wet;)

Why does he have to want to race to be able to turbocharge his car? And I sure hope you aren't referring to street racing when you say racing..

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
What kosal said, and never never never underestimate the power of a tune... And the spaghetti monster.

badshadowej

cameron
ya exactly and yes i realize doing research is a priority did you think this is my first freakin rodeo!?!? i've done research second opions from other integra owners never hurts your chances, i've heard alot of bad boost stories! i dont drive the piss outta my car , sure i race on the streets if liike the challenge occurs but it happens like once every6 months! plus i wanna go boost to keep up show off an make those panties wet, its an automatic right now though......and i have a new jdm long block ls b18b 99 motor, just put in in like idk july or no june, only used royal purple oil in it.. and it has anywhere from 50 to 60 thousand miles on it now, wheni ggot it put in it had 42 all oil changes have been ontime
ngk wires and plugs

mjones73

No offense, it's hard to tell you've been researching when you asked a question that gets repeated here and on other Intergra forums regularly...

You still need to compression and leak down test the motor to make sure it's healthy regardless of mileage and/or how you've been maintaining it since you got it. With a healthy motor you should be able to make up to 300hp on stock internals. 7lbs of boost probably won't get you anywhere near that. The major key regardless of how much boost you're pushing is getting a good tune. You'll probably want to do a 5 speed swap also, those auto's can't handle much power over stock...

mirrorimg

Check the health of the motor with a Leakdown test.

Get the car tuned after the turbocharger is installed.

Prozon

Kris
I don't think you have done much research into this. As stated, this question is answered like ten times in the Forced Induction forum.

First things first, get a leak down test done on the motor to see if it's healthy.

PSI means nothing if you do not know the size of a turbo. A good T3/T4 turbo will make 230hp with about 7psi of boost. i would not try to push 300hp, that's about the limit of the stock internals and there's no reason to risk it. You will also need new fuel injectors for that, personally i'm using 440RC injectors, I hear others suggesting at least 550cc. Your fuel pump should also be upgraded, a Walbro fuel pump seems to be the most popular. (Also what i'm running.) A tune is needed after your set up is installed, it's not something you can get around. Talk to some tuners and find out who would be best to tune your car. Your probably looking at $400+ for a full dyno tune.

I think that 230hp would be plenty, it's a lot more power then stock and is still plenty to play with. If you want to go big power, do some real research.

Prozon

Kris
Tyler, that image is like four times wider then my screen. Size it down or i'll light your Integra on fire.

Edit:
Blocked the image, dial up is safe for another day.
It's all good. :D

Last edited: