boosting questions

tcfridaydawg

a while ago a dude was looking for a turbo, but as everyone knows there are tons of different kinds of turbos, so one of you suggested finding out when he wanted full spool by (rpms).

so my question is, how do you know what rpm a certain turbo would spool by?ive looked at tons of different ones, just to see differences, but ive never noticed if it actually said when it was fully spooled. I know it depends on the size, but is there a way to figure it out? and to increase or decrease boost all you have to do is tighten a screw?

GSROWNSU

if you had nothing to limit boost it would continue to rise until the turbo maxed itself out....so there are wastegates which are basically spring activated valves and bleed off boost when the spring senses a certain psi....there are external and internal wastegates i like external better and think they are more reliable...as far as calculating when i turbo has full spool good question it depends on the size and the a/r ratio on the turbo itself.....i'll look into it more and see if i can find nething for u

tcfridaydawg

yeah i know a lil about turbos, so i knew that without wastegates the turbo could technically keep spooling it could like blow up or something because it would spin way too fast.

and thanks cause ive been looking cause i didnt wanna ask a question that was already posted but i didnt find anything

dremersvision

the screw is the boost controller. it increases and decreases the amount of boost the turbo will give you. many guys that i have spoken to looked at the cfm of the turbo and would guess at which point full boost would hit. but in a way your question is very broad.

why i say this is because there are factors to consider one obvious is the size of turbo, next type of downpipe,ported or polished o2 housing, were the blades clipped on the turbo? full boost on single stage or dual stage boost controller? running different cams? and so on and so on.