Bought my first car (problems)

tegrarich15

Yesterday i bought my first car im 16 by the way. A 97 Integra Ls for $580. Im more of an american muscle kind of guy but im starting to admire her.
She's rough!! (hence the $580 price tag) From what i am told the transmission slips (automatic), from driving it it has no power steering, I am also told it needs new bearings. Also the hood release was broken but i got it open last night 8) 8) 8) .
I have discovered that not only does the car not have any ps fluid, it also has no ps pump belt. Could the pump be damaged?
It also squeals at startup and the speedo doesnt work...

Any sugestions on fixes would be appreciated

MiketheDyke

My job is clean toilets
Sounds like you got a project there ;)

Welcome to the club man! Hope you stick around and post some pictures! ;)

Ganyon

Change the trans fluid. Just drain it, and refill it with 3 quarts of honda atf or royal purple. I use royal purple and love it.

FauxTypeR

the squeakyness on startup may be ur belts, change ur ac belt and alternator belt and power steering belt? not sure if u mean that one is missing or another belt? but yeah that happened to mine n now shes all quiet!

zack11122

Throw in some fluid for the power steering and put a belt on. If it works keep it. If not. Return the belt or buy a new pump.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

mirrorimg

Make sure someone didnt cut your PS lines before you put a belt on it. Some people will loop the lines and make an open circuit to make it function more like a manual rack.

tegrarich15

Good news guy i changed the belt and added fluid and it works
Quick question, i filled up the reservoir and i drove it a lil and it made a bit of a grinding noise i checked the reservoir and it was almost empty. I assume all the fluid went to the rack. Is there a bigger problem or do i just need more fluid?

(i used advanced auto parts brand honda power steering fluid)

mirrorimg

Is there a ton of fluid all over the rack/underside of the vehicle? Maybe the previous owner removed the belt because of some leak instead of fixing the issue.

mirrorimg

Might be worth putting some in, turning the car on, then rotating the wheel lock to lock. I wouldnt really fill it up until you find where its leaking and fix it. Worst case, its the rack itself that needs to be replaced. Hopefully its just a hose though.

2kdb7

Might be worth putting some in, turning the car on, then rotating the wheel lock to lock. I wouldnt really fill it up until you find where its leaking and fix it. Worst case, its the rack itself that needs to be replaced. Hopefully its just a hose though.
Do that and have someone watch under the car and see where its going. Also I've seen cracked reservoirs so there's another option and welcome by the way. I also recommend a tune up if its that rough just so you know its been done.

tegrarich15

So i figured out that it s leaking fluid from the line. How do i get it off? Also a bit from the ps pum but it loks like it may be from a bolt at the bottom of the pump
i am also leaking oil just to the left of where the line is leaking
Any sugestions?