Bouncy idle. Help!!

mikexmayhem

My car is been running perfectly fine. After installing a throttle body spacer it idles at 2k and bounces between 1 and 2 during idle in neutral and in gear while sitiing. What could cause a bouncy idle. No vacuum lines were disconnected and all the sensors are plugged in. Any advice?

Sounds like a vacume leak most likely. Make sure it sealed correctly and that you have a gasket on both sides of the plate unless it's o-ring style. personally i would take it back off and throw it in the trash, they do absolutely nothing for multi point injection besides make a cool sound when shifting at a certain rpm and that i'm not even sure of on a 4 cylinder.

mikexmayhem

Sounds like a vacume leak most likely. Make sure it sealed correctly and that you have a gasket on both sides of the plate unless it's o-ring style. personally i would take it back off and throw it in the trash, they do absolutely nothing for multi point injection besides make a cool sound when shifting at a certain rpm and that i'm not even sure of on a 4 cylinder.
It makes a sweet sound! I would like to keep it if I can figure out the idling problem. Is there an easy way to check for vacuum leaks. Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks

start the car and take a spray bottle with soapy water and spray around the perimeter of the throttle body spacer and listen to see if the idle goes down and if you get lucky you might be able to see it bubble and such, this is the way we did it at harley. wd40 works too but makes a mess. What brand is it and what kind of gaskets came with it? Also the sound is only noticable with the window down and at a specific rpm and throttle position, it's not what it's cracked up to be. Not like a bov or something that will turn heads when you pass them lol

mikexmayhem

start the car and take a spray bottle with soapy water and spray around the perimeter of the throttle body spacer and listen to see if the idle goes down and if you get lucky you might be able to see it bubble and such, this is the way we did it at harley. wd40 works too but makes a mess. What brand is it and what kind of gaskets came with it? Also the sound is only noticable with the window down and at a specific rpm and throttle position, it's not what it's cracked up to be. Not like a bov or something that will turn heads when you pass them lol
so the point of that is to find a leak?

acclude

cheap bastard
also check for a leak around the MAP sensor and make sure that AND the TPS are plugged in and properly connected.

mikexmayhem

I sprayed soapy water on the spacer gaskets all the hoses I could and yeilded no results. I'm gonna remove it and see if it goes back to normal

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
so I took the spacer off and now it idles and drives just fine like it used to. But it still whistles! Why would it do that still. And I'm not sure what kind of gasket it is
when does it whistle, idling or driving?

certain intakes will do that due to filter design and just the way the air flows into the tb but you could also have a leak somewhere that is making the sound under load or a closed throttle but still idle ok because theres not enough vacume or pressure to break the seal. Is the tb spacer not installed now?