brake booster questions

ThatOneDc2

so i have a 1997 gs five speed. just did a fresh caliper, rotor, brake pad, and fluid swap. i bled my brakes as normal and they stiffened up like normal so i assumed it was fine, went for a test drive and the next thing you know is my brake pedals hitting the floor and im not stopping o_O so i jacked it back up and bled them again and it would just rev a little and go down. ive been told i just need to swap my brake booster and re bleed it and ill be good. anyone have any ideas, on what i should do?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
see if the check valve is good or bad, its a one way valve so you should only blow into one end of it. Its right above the brake booster, in the hose that connects the booster to the manifold.

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
Wouldn't that be a master cylinder issue? Brake booster would cause a stiff pedal, mc would cause a soft pedal, right?

ThatOneDc2

one of my mechanic buddies told me he bled the brake booster it self as well so im assume all the hoses and valves were good, ill definatly give them a check tho, if thats not it then i would just need to buy a new brake booster and swap it hu?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
You do not do anything to the brake booster when you bleed the fluid. I would be suprised if its the booster. Im thinking you should re bleed your system.

ThatOneDc2

thats what im thinking too cuz it was working fine before. mhmm it was just sitting fora while. i think ill re bleed it, if that still doesnt work ill rebleed after i swap the master cyld. thenn if that doesnt work its my booster

Nick_C78

There is nothing to bleed in the brake booster...It is air...or rather a vacuum sealed canister...so a lack of air? lol Either way your "mechanic" buddy sounds like a moron...just saying. An option you can try is to bench bleed your master cylinder. However, more than likely you have a fluid leak somewhere and as Pat said, it is likely your Master Cylinder itself that is leaking. Normally this is proven by checking your firewall inside your car where the master cylinder is. If it is leaking it is likely that youll see brake fluid everywhere on that foam matting. I would just buy a new master cylinder(Only like 30-40 dollars), bench bleed it, install it, bleed the brakes again and call it a day. Also, Pat is 100% right that the brake booster going out would cause it to be stiff, in fact rock hard. It would also cause your idle to spaz out.

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
I didn't get any fluid leaking from mine for a while, and that was under extreme pressure from being on the track multiple times, lol.