Brake caliper question.....

Exige24

What's the proper way to color your calipers? I've seen they make covers for them, but would it be possible to buy a used pair and have them powder coated? Like here?

It looks like there are part on there that wouldn't make it through the process, but can you take it apart and only do parts of a caliper?

I wanna try red ones on my car. I think it'd look cool as my tire assembly would have every color on the body of my car. You can't really see it here, but the inner walls of my rims are painted gloss black.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Exige24

painted/powdercoated brakes look rice to me.. get a big brake kit.. go to stoptech..
Fuuuck, those kits are like $2000. lol Now that you bring it up, paint does seem kinda tacky, but I dunno if I wanna go that hardcore on my brakes.

Last edited:

Prozon

Kris
Painted brakes are rice now? God damn, calipers are painted on everything! They come a color, whats wrong with getting a different color? When people start painting the rotors is when you need to worry.

For the price of powdercoating a set of calipers you could probably just buy new ones lol.

rexpepper123

i dont see how painting them black or any other color for that matter is rice. better then having some rusty ass steal sitting behind your nice rims.

If you strip and sand them properly, then prime, paint, and clear with high temp products you should be fine painting them.

Boxy

Sorry completely off topic but that's one of the cleanest looking 2nd Gen's I've seen on this site. Good work!

And painting calipers is not rice, wtf? Red would look sick if you ask me.

Exige24

Painted brakes are rice now? God damn, calipers are painted on everything! They come a color, whats wrong with getting a different color? When people start painting the rotors is when you need to worry.

For the price of powdercoating a set of calipers you could probably just buy new ones lol.
I guess it depends on how good of a job you do on them too.

As far as powdercoating, if I can give him just the metal parts to do, I know a local guy who'd do a set of them for probably $80, so I'd probably go that route if it's possible to dismantle the thing. I wouldn't mind paying that for powdercoating them.

Exige24

Sorry completely off topic but that's one of the cleanest looking 2nd Gen's I've seen on this site. Good work!

And painting calipers is not rice, wtf? Red would look sick if you ask me.
Thanks! I put alot of time into her. I'm going to get those brakes the way I want them to look somehow. I'll post a pick up when I do.

Exige24

If you strip and sand them properly, then prime, paint, and clear with high temp products you should be fine painting them.
So Talon, have you had experience with calipers? Is it possible to separate just the metal from all the bushings and stuff. I've changed brake pads before, but have never actually taken the calipers off and seen how they were put together and stuff though.

Exige24

I was thinking the same thing. Haha such glossy paint, too. :thumbs up
There's degrees of wetsanding. From "quick and dirty" to "there's not a flat surface on the entire car that didn't get baby butt smoothed out no matter how small" It's all in how much time you wanna spend on it. Believe me. That or how much money you wanna pay someone. lmao

Last edited: