Brake light stays on while ebrake disengaged

cborden

Jesus is THE way
Hey guys Ive got a 94 integra gsr and as the title states the ebrake light stays on while the brake is disengaged. Actually it goes off but flickers while I drive. Ive already done alot of research so and have checked most of the typical causes; the spring under the ebrake handle is fine, the wire doesnt seem to be grounded out anywhere, and all my fluids are topped off. My abs light comes on intermittently, I havent pulled the code recently, I did at one time and I think it said something like the abs fluid level was too high but idk how I could change this; it looks like an enclosed system. I feel I have to mention my gas gauge just stopped working as well. What are your ideas? if any? Do I need a new brake reservoir cap?

Nick_C78

The cap could be faulty. Also sounds like you might want to try a new cluster if all your gauges are being wonky. Just a thought.

Other than that, when is the last time you flushed your entire brake system with fresh fluid and proper bleeding?

cborden

Jesus is THE way
yeah im guessing its the cap but i want to make sure obviously before i just start throwing money at it. Unless i run into a problem i cant fix i wont be swapping out the cluster because i prefer the original equipment but if i were to swap it out it would have to be for a type r or mugen and i dont have that type of cash so itll just stay broken for a while. I hadnt ever flushed the brake system nor do i know if it ever has been done, i doubt it, but i planned on doing it when i got a new master cylinder. im planning on putting the s2k one in

phatintegra

Banned
Hey guys Ive got a 94 integra gsr and as the title states the ebrake light stays on while the brake is disengaged. Actually it goes off but flickers while I drive. Ive already done alot of research so and have checked most of the typical causes; the spring under the ebrake handle is fine, the wire doesnt seem to be grounded out anywhere, and all my fluids are topped off. My abs light comes on intermittently, I havent pulled the code recently, I did at one time and I think it said something like the abs fluid level was too high but idk how I could change this; it looks like an enclosed system. I feel I have to mention my gas gauge just stopped working as well. What are your ideas? if any? Do I need a new brake reservoir cap?
ABS Sensor is dirty you can clean them. As for the brake light have you check the E-brake cable?

cborden

Jesus is THE way
I thought maybe it was the abs sensors too a while ago when the abs light came on originally so i cleaned all four corners when i recently changed my suspension so i know for sure that its not that. The cables are fine as well; still nice and taut as well as not corroded badly and still connected at the calipers. they still work fine, that was my first thought was the actual cables then the sensor on the actual lever, once i saw all that checked out i did some research and it said that it was because my fluid was low. it was but i thought it could be since it made sense because it flickers on and off while driving and going over bumps i filled it up more and still does it. im guessing its the cap thats going/gone bad i just wanna be sure

jbrown97ls

I was going to say the brake switch plug under the pedal, but I highly doubt it's that with it flickering and your other gauges messing up

cborden

Jesus is THE way
so anyway to diagnose the actual gauge in the cluster? or if its the reservoir cap?

Nick_C78

If you are going to the s2k master cylinder then why would you buy a new cap? Just replace the master with the s2k one like you want. That will take care of 2 of the ideas(Cap and bad fluid because you'll have to bleed the whole system).

As for cluster, you can replace the cluster with another OEM one and just swap out speedometers to keep your mileage accurate.

cborden

Jesus is THE way
If you are going to the s2k master cylinder then why would you buy a new cap? Just replace the master with the s2k one like you want. That will take care of 2 of the ideas(Cap and bad fluid because you'll have to bleed the whole system).

As for cluster, you can replace the cluster with another OEM one and just swap out speedometers to keep your mileage accurate.
I meant brake fluid reservoir cap not the clutch master cylinder cap.
Oh i dint know you could swap out the actual gauges, ok then thats a possibility but i still want to pin point the problem and know for sure instead of just guessing

alabamatoy

Based on the FSM, the wiring for this light is switched-ground. So it gets power, then the e-brake or the MC cap provide a ground and turns on the light. This same lead goes to the ABS ECU, so when the ECU sees the brake light light (and some other inscrutable logic) it turns on the ABS fault light. Mine is doing this and its driving me nuts. Disconnect the two leads from the MC cap to determine if the cap is the issue - if the brake light goes out, you need brake fluid or a new cap. Driving around with the parking brake on will also cause the same ABS fault. Both show up as a ABS ECU fault code 2-1 (2 long pulses, one short). The wiring diagram shows some additional connection to some driving light controller for canadian cars only. The only two connections shown in the wiring diagram between power and ABS ECU are the MC cap and the parking brake. If I am missing something, please enlighten me!!!!

I am chasing the same problem on my 94 GSR - dash brake light flickers, eventually ABS fault shows up, code 2-1. MC cap is good, and parking brake is not on, PB switch is good.

Jcrid

I had this issue with my 01 integra, I just needed more fluid and a new cap, granted I learned this after I did all the harder stuff.
If you don't wanna put a new cluster in (I dont blame you for not wanting too and swapping individual pieces is a pain and if you do it right the light should still be on anyway because its probably not a cluser error lol) start simple and add more fluid if that doesnt do it replace the cap.

Or just pop the cluster out and break the bulb lol I've seen that done 100's of times

Nick_C78

The very first post says that all of his fluids have been topped off. Which is why all the other ideas got tossed around.